Debate Malls going away

HDRKID

Taken from http://www.businessinsider.com/shopping-malls-are-going-extinct-2014-1

"Middle-level stores in middle-level malls are going to be extinct because they don't make sense," said Davidowitz, chairman of Davidowitz & Associates, Inc., a retail consulting and investment banking firm. "That's why we haven't built a major enclosed mall since 2006."

Back in 2005 I predicted that malls are going away. Here are the reasons. Most are obvious now:

1. Property taxes are going up.
2. Electricity costs are going up.
3. Internet stores are less expensive.
4. Driving is less due to rising gas prices.
5. Stores like sears... just don't care any more.
Debunkers made fun of me in 2005. They said, everything is fine and you are a nut case. Well, what do they say now. It is, that was obvious and everybody knew the malls were going away. There was no way they could compete with the internet - no way. All your predictions are obvious and I am calling you captain obvious from now on. :)

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
The malls will downsize. I think we still need to be able to try clothes on, but let's face it. Clothing in the mall is expensive. I think small stores could make a comeback.

TnWatchdog

I see people walking the halls of the mall with one small bag, which reminds me of the walking dead...lost wanderers. I don't how the malls can prosper with the discount stores getting your business. Most people have to go where the bargains are...it is getting to the point that I can hardly afford the dollar stores anymore.

Suraska

Free enterprise is obsolete as the paradigm shifts and the welfare state rises. Next will be the nationalization of corporations.

HDRKID

Malls can blame amazon. Crushed between more selection and lower prices. Retails stores are a dying american icon. Sadly, we see a future that is very grim. Look at radio shack now. This guy sums it up. Yeah, they are not long for this universe.

HDRKID

OK so radio shack keeps on doing worse. Back in 2005 is was over $30 and now it is less than one. There is talk of it being delisted from the stock exchange soon. People, we are being lied to as things unravel in our deindustrialization process. Yesterday, I was in radio shack and they had a $200 camera for $50 now. It is on clearance as they reduce the number of items they will carry. Basically, they are turning into a phone store, but they have to compete with T-Mobile, best buy, verizon an many more. :(

TAKEN FROM
How RadioShack Made Billions Disappear (RSH)

The retailer took on debt to fund those buybacks, and its turnover strategy, which involved closing 1,100 stores, was nixed by creditors who invoked covenants saying the company would only be able to close 200 stores or would otherwise have to liquidate. In its last four quarters, RadioShack has lost nearly $500 million, and without the ability to close unprofitable stores, it seems unlikely that the company will survive.

Analyst says 'bankruptcy odds climbing' for RadioShack

walt willis

Yes! It is far worst then most people are aware as I have seen an increase in the number of stores close over the past few years.

The correlation between the past six years of Obama and the deeper slide into a recession should be obvious to the general dumb public.

We will get the government that we deserve and because we have dumbed down the school system we are now starting to see the results.

Stupid is as stupid does. keep voting for fools and puppets and we will be lead into the river of despair to drown.