Mandela Effect - WTF does it mean?

Snow

A "Mandela Effect" is a mass remembering of something as it is not now and never has been in this reality.

I am not much troubled by it - that is to say, I am AFFECTED by it, and fascinated with what it might mean -but it has only disrupted my life as much my fascination has allowed it to. I haven't been harmed by it - but when you wake up every day knowing, without a doubt, that reality is not really real it can set you on an exciting path of exploration. If you don't know much about it, go to youtube and come back. Or check out MandelaEffect.com

I searched for a thread specifically related to the "Mandela Effect" and I didn't find any, though I did find some mentions of it within other threads. Last month when I did the same search nothing came up at all. I spend some time each day with the topic, so I thought I would start a thread and see if we can discuss it here.

"Mandela Effect" is the name coined by Fiona Broome when she realized she wasn't the only person who had a profound disconnect when Nelson Mandela died this decade because she clearly remembered his death before the turn of the century. My disconnect occurred when he was elected President of South Africa because I remembered his death while he was in prison - in the late 80's or early 90's. That is how the popular name of this phenomenon came about, but it doesn't do it justice.

When I first started posting in time travel forums, it was because my husband and I had experienced a change in our reality that we both recognized and we both remembered it as having been different the year before. We called it a time-slip. That was in 2004. However, Titorites will remember the email experiment performed for some people John Titor interacted with at Coast to Coast AM's Post2Post BBS, in 2000. Some of the participants had reality shifts that they called "Alter-Vu". Zeshuans would refer to this as 'time ripples' in the minor sense and 'time quakes' in the major sense. This would suggest the effect could be caused by time travel - and this is not a new notion because we ALL remember the movie "Butterfly Effect", of course.

There is the "dead again" or "alive again" phenomenon that may part of the same effect (that was a hot topic at Time Travel Forum, where all us original Paranormalis members here came from). That topic blew up and then subsided, but now the "Mandela Effect" has adopted instances of "Dead/Alive Again" into its definition.

There is the term "Quantum Pollution", coined by Anthony Patch, who believes the effect is caused by CERN and the DWAVE Adiabetic Quantum Computer.

No matter it's called, it's real, it's wildly weird, and knowing about it is as potentially life altering as confirmation of aliens, or finding anti-diluvian humans in Antarctica. It changes everything, right? If this Universe isn't exactly what we thought it was, then what exactly is it?

Snow

OK - so now I feel a little bit silly. I came back to my new thread and at the bottom of it is a list: "Our Best Related Threads"
Did I misspell my search term? Two times? LMAO ALL BEFORE MARCH!!

Seriously? Does that mean no one here is interested in this topic? I find that difficult to believe. Really. So I'll just talk to myself for a minute . . .

When I stumbled on the Fiona Broome website sometime in 2011, there were maybe a dozen "cases" of ME being discussed. I couldn't claim them all . . . some things just were never in my sphere of interest or attention long enough for me to know for sure. For instance, some MEer's report that JIF Peanut Butter was JIFFY Peanut Butter in their original reality. I remember Jiffy Popcorn, Jiffy Corn Muffins, Jiffy Lube; however to me, JIF Peanut Butter seems right - I just don't have a clearly solid memory, either way.

I only claim the ME's I am sure about. I used to be so annoyed when I could not get someone on board with this thing - then it dawned on me . . . perhaps THIS reality isn't the one that changed . . . maybe this reality is an alternate reality - closely related to my original reality but slightly off. There is a whole segment of the population "here" that believes in their hearts that this topic is straight up bullshit. They don't identify with even ONE change. So is this their original reality?

These are some of the first ones that I connected with right away:

Interview with a Vampire, NOT Interview With the Vampire. That doesn't even make sense. The interview was with Louis. Lestat was THE Vampire.

Sex in the City, NOT Sex and the City.

Thanksgiving used to be on the 3rd Thursday of November, not the 4th Thursday.

Spelling changes: dilemna NOT dilemma. Definately not definitely. I was a 'straight A' speller in school. I know these have changed because of the way I used to remember odd spellings. I mentally said the word with the spelling oddity pronounced as it looks, not as it sounds. So di-lem-Na. and defin -ATE-ly.

Berenstein Bears, NOT Berenstain Bears. My sister and I mind bended on this for days. She dug out old books in her attic, convinced that when she found them they would say BERENSTEIN. She believed she would have proof! I hoped she would have proof, but I already knew that her old kids' books were going to be changed. This was the first one that really resonated with my 29-year-old grandson, mainly because he remembers how I used to pronounce it when reading it to him. BERENSTINE = not steen, not stain.

There are more, of course, but these are the ones that rocked my world early on. If these changes come in waves, then those would be considered 'first wave'.

TimeFlipper

The Movie took its name from the book which was first published in 1976, the front cover of the book as shown, was the first edition publication thats worth about £100 now!...I dont know if my info is of any use to you? :)il_570xN.1188836433_8zgc.jpg

Physics vs Jaden

Amazing Person
Zenith
OK - so now I feel a little bit silly. I came back to my new thread and at the bottom of it is a list: "Our Best Related Threads"
Did I misspell my search term? Two times? LMAO ALL BEFORE MARCH!!

Seriously? Does that mean no one here is interested in this topic? I find that difficult to believe. Really. So I'll just talk to myself for a minute . . .
No, it happens with everybody

Also, I remember my parents loved Sex AND the City, so I figured, if anybody knows it, it would be them. So I asked them, "is it Sex AND the city or Sex IN the city. (It is officially named Sex AND the city). They said sex in the city so who knows

Wee

A "Mandela Effect" is a mass remembering of something as it is not now and never has been in this reality.

I am not much troubled by it - that is to say, I am AFFECTED by it, and fascinated with what it might mean -but it has only disrupted my life as much my fascination has allowed it to. I haven't been harmed by it - but when you wake up every day knowing, without a doubt, that reality is not really real it can set you on an exciting path of exploration. If you don't know much about it, go to youtube and come back. Or check out MandelaEffect.com

I searched for a thread specifically related to the "Mandela Effect" and I didn't find any, though I did find some mentions of it within other threads. Last month when I did the same search nothing came up at all. I spend some time each day with the topic, so I thought I would start a thread and see if we can discuss it here.

"Mandela Effect" is the name coined by Fiona Broome when she realized she wasn't the only person who had a profound disconnect when Nelson Mandela died this decade because she clearly remembered his death before the turn of the century. My disconnect occurred when he was elected President of South Africa because I remembered his death while he was in prison - in the late 80's or early 90's. That is how the popular name of this phenomenon came about, but it doesn't do it justice.

When I first started posting in time travel forums, it was because my husband and I had experienced a change in our reality that we both recognized and we both remembered it as having been different the year before. We called it a time-slip. That was in 2004. However, Titorites will remember the email experiment performed for some people John Titor interacted with at Coast to Coast AM's Post2Post BBS, in 2000. Some of the participants had reality shifts that they called "Alter-Vu". Zeshuans would refer to this as 'time ripples' in the minor sense and 'time quakes' in the major sense. This would suggest the effect could be caused by time travel - and this is not a new notion because we ALL remember the movie "Butterfly Effect", of course.

There is the "dead again" or "alive again" phenomenon that may part of the same effect (that was a hot topic at Time Travel Forum, where all us original Paranormalis members here came from). That topic blew up and then subsided, but now the "Mandela Effect" has adopted instances of "Dead/Alive Again" into its definition.

There is the term "Quantum Pollution", coined by Anthony Patch, who believes the effect is caused by CERN and the DWAVE Adiabetic Quantum Computer.

No matter it's called, it's real, it's wildly weird, and knowing about it is as potentially life altering as confirmation of aliens, or finding anti-diluvian humans in Antarctica. It changes everything, right? If this Universe isn't exactly what we thought it was, then what exactly is it?
Fun fact. I came here today to discuss The Mandela Phenomina and lo w ans behold your post. The BerenstEin phenomena is what got me researching. I clearly remember a few things from my early childhood.
1. I could never figure out if it was pronounced STINE, STEEN or STAIN...so I always called them BarenSTEEN bears.

2. I remember when it was CHIC-fil-a and not CHICK-fil-a.

I'm convinced there is a parallel universe. I read an article that you have to be in an alternate state of mind to feel "vibrations" to jump. Funny...I remember when I was really young when everything changed. I had an out of body experience. I felt vibrations...and I was looking at myself sleeping above my bed...then i felt a gravitational pull and went into my body...it was like I quit breathing as I gasped for air. My mom tells me stories about me I dont remember when I was younger.. Or at least not how I remember itat all.

vortex-T217

It's happened to some people but there's also some people that don't seem to remember some of the old ways or could they not recognize the changes. Unless they just got bad memory or are in denial due to not being capable of thinking outside the lines of reality that are prescribed to them.

You are right. Most older physical items that could potentially show proof will also morph and suddenly change. but there has been some residual evidence found of the way certain things use to be. I'm sure you have seen some of the examples online by now.

I found some residual evidence with my Volkswagen car that I don't own anymore. My brother and I bought 2 Volkswagen cars at the same time and I have a pictures of my car with the volks symbol as solid all the way through and the picture didn't change with the mandela effect and is still the same. but the car my brother bought did change in a picture I took which I thought was interesting why my picture didn't change but his did.
I would have kept the car if I had of known this was going to happen just for the hell of it, but at least I still have the pictures. Although I didn't even need to see the pictures again to know the volkswagon symbol changed along with the spelling of Volkswagon to Volkswagen. I owned many of these cars for years and looked at the damn symbol right in front of my face everyday, so I knew.

Khaos

where the wild things are
I had a mandela effect recently, there is a house next door that has a chimney that runs up the side, one day I just noticed it, and it surprised me because I have been living here for several months and never saw it, and swear that it was never there, I asked the homeowners about it and they said its been there before they moved in, its actually a part of the original foundation of a house that was there before, but was partially torn down and a new one built in its place.

I get it every now and then though, seeing things and remembering them to be different than what they are, and turns out they were always like that, but I just know they were different.

There was lots of debate on reddit regarding the cereal Froot Loops. And people claimed it was once named Fruit Loops. The same goes for Capn' Crunch. I swear it was Captain Crunch.

Snow

Vortex, that's the thing, right? There is a whole segment of society that thinks people who see the Mandela
Effect are misremembering, confabulating, or flat out crazy. I would beg them to be as tolerant of us as we are of them . . . I wonder if they don't recognize it because they are from HERE, the reality that has never had Interview with A Vampire, never had Fruit Loops, never had Looney Toons . . . BUT, if that is so, what is with all the residual evidence? Why do patent records show things we remember instead of things as they are now? Would you considering scanning and sharing the two photos - Your unchanged emblem and your brother's changed one? that would be cool!

What about Bible changes? Would God allow that? My first thought was that I guess He would if the changes were corrections? LOL

Khaos - the chimney, that is what people are calling "local changes" or "personal changes" - the ones less than universal. I have a few of those, too. That is more like the Alter Vu, and some say it's not the same as ME, but I'm with YOU, it counts as far as I'm concerned.

Time Flipper, you're making me laugh. Find one that says Interview With A Vampire. <<smiling>> That will help me! As I said, the interview was with Louis, he was A Vampire. He was made by Lestat . . . Lestat was THE Vampire - so the change is really non-sensical, see?

Physics vs Jaden: your parents are right AND you are right - it's like quantum . . . things can be in one state and another state at the exact same time. Ouch. It makes my head hurt!

Wee, that is an incredibly interesting theory you have there . . . like a walk-in, right? Only the walk-in was you from an alternate reality! I have an out of body experience as well. I'm going to research this a little while trying to date my OBE . . . that would be interesting if the OBE predates my earliest ME's. Thanks for that!

OK - so we are having fun now - don't stop :)

vortex-T217

sure no problem. the first 2 are my car but the second one you might have to zoom in on the rim to see. my brothers was taken in the snow tho I couldn't find the other pictures I had of his. The pictures of the old vans aren't my vehicles. I think I found those from kijiji a while back and are just examples of how they are all old vans with one showing a solid symbol and the other 2 show the changed symbol.

Attachments

• DSC00534.jpg
    DSC00534.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18
  • DSC00536.JPG
    DSC00536.JPG
    820.7 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC00600.JPG
    DSC00600.JPG
    961.7 KB · Views: 15
  • logo check5.jpg
    logo check5.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 17
  • logo check7.jpg
    logo check7.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 14
  • logo check6.jpg
    logo check6.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 13

Snow

sure no problem. the first 2 are my car but the second one you might have to zoom in on the rim to see. my brothers was taken in the snow tho I couldn't find the other pictures I had of his. The pictures of the old vans aren't my vehicles. I think I found those from kijiji a while back and are just examples of how they are all old vans with one showing a solid symbol and the other 2 show the changed symbol.

WOW Vortex . . . so cool. Thank you very much for doing that! LOVE IT :)

So whatever is causing the ME's, it's imperfect. It misses stuff. I absolutely love the ones with residual evidence. They don't do much to change the mind of anyone who hasn't experienced or recognized a single Mandela Effect, but it sure does comfort those of us who know the effect is an actual phenomenon and not just our faulty memories.

It flusters me, some of the debunk attempts - I mean do the unaffected really think we WANT to see seemingly random and apparently insignificant changes to such inane things as book titles, logo changes, iconic movie lines. Why can't we have a Mandela Effect where we overcame our need to WAR last century or a Mandela Effect that cancels Armageddon due to lack of interest or one where cancer was cured 25 years ago? Instead, we get "No, I am your Father." and a North Pole that is in a body of water instead of on land? I mean, damn, if ME can change geography then why not do something really useful, like add islands just off the west coast and put a few hills in Kansas?

Ack . . . I rant, eh?