Mars Rover PIcks up a Rock

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Oh, it worked this time!

IIRC, didn't they drill a small hole or something in the ground at some point?

It must take a lot of power to drill a large or deep hole, especially when they hit solid rock. And solar power is much weaker than here, due to distance. That would be my guess.

Wind7

Staff
The mole found itself stuck on Feb. 28, 2019, the first day of hammering. The InSight team has since determined that the soil here is different than what has been encountered on other parts of Mars. InSight landed in an area with an unusually thick duricrust, or a layer of cemented soil. Rather than being loose and sandlike, as expected, the dirt granules stick together.

This might have an answer.
I think the Martian soil is a bit more different than what NASA was prepared to deal with.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
The mole found itself stuck on Feb. 28, 2019, the first day of hammering. The InSight team has since determined that the soil here is different than what has been encountered on other parts of Mars. InSight landed in an area with an unusually thick duricrust, or a layer of cemented soil. Rather than being loose and sandlike, as expected, the dirt granules stick together.

This might have an answer.
I think the Martian soil is a bit more different than what NASA was prepared to deal with.

Well, for one, there isn't a whole lot of water in it, so it's dry.

Martian

Oh, that's a relief. I thought it was my pet rock. :p You really must be careful around Mars rocks, because they can be ill tempered if they haven't had their daily steak meal. :)