minuteman project and Waco type events thread

August

Please post any Waco-type events here. I know I will! Everyone needs a hobby. :D Thanks!

August

Phoenix can you pin this thread? Thanks!

Rug

Well, there was Janet Jackson's breast, he predicted that..

Cornelia

This was one of OUR threads!
While time is passing, we can witness more and more of those "Waco-type events" John Titor mentioned. Will some of those be critical for the "upcoming Civil War"? Or will it be just everyday TV news?
(This topic is one of the most dangerous for users-fighting: so please, be fair and polite and respect others and... SMUDA! Stay away from here! :lol: )

Anoah

Im so glad you are here Cornelia and I would be happy to have Smuda as well. :D Let's fight nice. Let the fun begin.

Unintentional

Does what happened at TimeTravelForum count as a Waco Type Event or a Civil War? Paul likened it to Rome burning, but since he may not know of this web site, would it more likely be classified as a civil war since there are now two TTFs? :lol:

Anoah

My god Titor's civil war is starting and the first battle was on TTF. He he he he.

Anoah

I think we should still keep an eye on this sort of thing here. It may not seem like much right now but it could turn out to be extremely important. Its interesting to see the divisions amongst people over this.

This is my old hometown so Im a bit disappointed in some of them.

patriot act

City not likely to vote on Patriot Act
Instead, council may send congressmen a letter of concern over civil liberties.

By Nicole Radzievich
Of The Morning Call

After finding no precedent for such an action in Bethlehem, City Council President Michael Schweder said council has reached a consensus not to vote tonight on a resolution opposing the controversial USA Patriot Act.

While local activists hoped the city would become the first in the Lehigh Valley to pass such a resolution, council's solicitor has been asked to draft a letter raising concerns about the act that expands the federal government's power to investigate and prosecute suspected terrorists at the expense, critics argue, of civil liberties.

Council members and other city officials can then decide whether to sign the letter to U.S. Sens. Arlen Specter and Rick Santorum and U.S. Rep. Pat Toomey of Allentown.

''Everyone seems to have an opinion on this very serious matter, but I'm not sure memorializing it in a resolution is going to solve anything,'' Schweder said after talking to council members individually. ''A letter will let our federal elected officials know where we stand.''

The letter, which Schweder said he would sign, comes months after activists began to turn out in force at City Council meetings and argue that the act tramples the Bill of Rights. Such draconian provisions, they say, include putting noncitizens in jail indefinitely without proof or conducting secret surveillance without probable cause.

Supporters of the act counter that the government has needed more latitude to combat terrorism since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. In addition, they argue, the government could get personal information ? such as the book titles someone checks out from a library ? without the Patriot Act through a grand jury subpoena.

Councilwoman Magdalena Szabo, who opposes the Patriot Act, declined to comment as to whether a letter from council was the better method.

But she opposed the way the decision came about. She had wanted a committee meeting of the whole council so city officials and residents could debate the merits for and against passing a resolution.

''I have gotten a lot of messages and letters about this over the past week,'' Szabo said. ''I think we should talk about it.''

Peter Crownfield, a member of the Bill of Rights Defense Committee of the Lehigh Valley, called the decision not to consider a resolution ''chilling'' because it could stifle public discourse.

He said he has heard from dozens of residents who say they will turn out anyway tonight to voice their concerns. The trouble is, Crownfield said, they may have to wait until the end of the meeting to do so.

The city typically allots time at the end of the meeting for people to talk about matters not on the agenda. The resolution was not listed on the agenda as of late Monday afternoon.

Crownfield said he had hoped the resolution would contain language to prohibit city employees from cooperating with federal authorities who use the act ''to violate civil rights'' of city residents.

''Every additional resolution passed has an effect,'' Crownfield said. ''It shows a growing consensus that it is bad for this country.''

The Bill of Rights Defense Committee lists 326 cities and counties ? including Berks County, Reading, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh ? and four states that have passed resolutions against the Patriot Act.

Perkasie, a borough of 8,828, had talked about passing a resolution in August but decided it had no jurisdiction in determining the constitutionality of federal legislation.

While Bethlehem had been the first city in the Lehigh Valley to broach the issue, other local institutions have publicly denounced the act. The faculties of Muhlenberg College and Lehigh University have passed similar resolutions.

Unintentional

I used to live in Richmond, VA. I now live on the outskirts in Chesterfield County. The Richmond City cousel voted against the war in Iraq! :lol: The general consensus was: "Don't they have better use of their time?". I mean these city cousels and county cousels that "vote" against actions of the federal government are just wasting their time. It wouldn't be a waste of time if anything became of it, but to me it just looks silly. :lol:

Anoah

I don't think its silly for people in towns to make their views known to the federal government. At the end of the day our country is about the people. States and cities have the right to stand against the federal government when they disagree.

Do you think the central government should have absolute authority or should local areas get to have more of their own say?

If they give up and don't do it because they feel it won't matter we all might as well give up.

I see what you are saying about your local council though. As they were voting on the war in Iraq your garbage was probably piling up because the bin men were on strike. This would be of course after they raised your local taxes. Thats my town anyway.