minuteman project and Waco type events thread

CaryP

Wow! just thinking about 3 Million people that may have ingested garlic at their last meal all in one spot is bringing tears to my eyes...snif ..snif

I winced when I read this one bro. Thought it might get under Cornelia's skin a bit.

You're such a RACIST.

PS The march was against USA. That's why we had 3 millions people marching: just look in the mirror and you'll understand.

Yep, a direct hit. A little humility and apology here might smooth things over bro'. I know you didn't mean anything by your comment, and you were probably trying to be funny. And making stereotypical remarks about any group or culture tends to come across as offensive. Just my thoughts. I'll let you and our resident Bella Donna hash this one out.

Cary

Judge Bean

Originally posted by Cornelia@Sep 1 2004, 01:16 PM

... The march was against USA. That's why we had 3 millions people marching: just look in the mirror and you'll understand.

When I look in the mirror to see my country, I see at least 3 million Italian-Americans.

StarLord

No worries, I'll happily respond to that. :)

For now, I'll say you are way off mark Cornelia. Racist was such a very wrong term to use. :D Longer post to follow. It is too bad you felt insulted, nothing like that was intended :D

Judge Bean

Originally posted by StarLord@Sep 1 2004, 05:04 PM
No worries, I'll happily respond to that. :)

For now, I'll say you are way off mark Cornelia. Racist was such a very wrong term to use. :D ?Longer post to follow. It is too bad you felt insulted, nothing like that was intended :D

In my part of the country, garlic is a very good thing and is very big. Its nickname is the "stinking rose," and an old European saying is that "garlic is better than ten mothers," on account of its medicinal and health powers. Every chance I get, I go over to Gilroy, the Garlic Capital of the World, just in order to inhale the fields.

So, everybody take a deep breath.

StarLord

Cornelia,

Let's you and I speak as adults. Websters defines Racism as:

"The belief that some races are inherently superior to other races;
"Discrimination based on race. Which leads us to Discrimination:

"To distinguish between things;
"To differentiate, to act prejudicially. Which leads us to Prejudice:

"A bias for or against something, formed Without Sufficient Basis (foundation)

that out of the way, I had to laugh at your accusation because I married a non american so removed from my own race that my parents were in somewhat of a shock for a while. (gotta forgive them, they're from the old school) So, I know what racism is and how it looks, just not from the end you would expect.

I have many Italian friends both first generation and second or third generation and if they were blessed with a mother that was a good cook like my aunt, THEY WERE AND ARE CRAZY ABOUT GARLIC. They love it. That information is not a supposition, it's not hearsay, nor is it 3rd hand gossip. It is a fact. So much so a fact that we joke about it with each other and try to decide if the cook used 2lbs of garlic or just 1lb of garlic after they have come back from a restaurant at lunch or dinner.

Here in America, it's ok to joke about obvious things. Not only do the Italians here enjoy garlic as a rule but so do the Koreans. It's not made up information, it's a fact of life. You may have forgotten that I lived in the orient for several years, moved around every other year or so also. Attended a international school that had 50 some nations represented there, learned to trade cuss words in about 15 languages.

I also learned to enjoy food from all over the world so much so that the rule is taste it before you smell it or you may starve to death, and never judge food by its looks.

In my most limited experiences, I seem to recall for some strange reason, that Italian foods are prepared with garlic. I could deduce this by both taste when I ate the food and while walking by a Italian Restaurant, I was blasted with the aroma of cooking garlic. Imagine that, they use garlic in Italian food here in America.

So there is my basis and foundation from real life experience, that there is garlic in Italian food. It is a plain and simple fact. Perhaps, over in Italy you do not use garlic in your food, I wouldn't know, I have not visited there personally but I can tell you that I have a friend here that owns 2 Restaurants one of them in Rome, and he uses garlic in the food when he cooks here in America. I'll be sure to ask him if he prepares it any differently when he is in Rome.

Other folks may coddle you but I wont, I don't think you would respect some one that you could walk all over. That's the way women over here are, they don't repsect men they can walk all over.

Cornelia, I enjoy your posts sometimes but I have to be very honest with you as we are speaking as adults and dealing with truth here. I have to say that sometimes, your posts fairly drip with contempt, and racial overtones towards America and americans (like, look in the mirror). You may not be aware of this. Perhaps it is just me seeing things that are not there.

Never once have I called you a racist.

I have to tell you, that specific term sure don't fit me in any sence of the word. Now, you may wish to threaten to leave and post somewhere else, but I am hoping that you chose to do the adult thing and settle this like friends.

P.S. You forgot to mention bear feet with those black dresses and chickens.

Cornelia

StarLord,
1) I don't use Webster. I use Zingarelli. If you don't like my english, we can speak italian, no problem.
2) The old story "I have many friends" (jews, black, chinese ets). Well, you have the wrong friends from the garlic perspective: they are americans... with some very far italian relatives somewhere. Believe me, here in Italy we eat garlic as often as you do: as few as possible because, believe it or not again, italians HATE garlic breath. Yes, we're civilized and don't like to smell badly.
3) Did I seem racist with americans? Maybe. But remember, I'm speaking a foreign language. Again, you're welcome to speak italian from now on.
4)What is "bear feet"? Never heard. My old italian grandmother used to wear stiletto heels.

Paul,
sorry, I can't take a deep breath when I'm too close to StarLord. He doesn't like the smell.

HackimerRob

okay okay okay wait just a STINKIN GARLIC BREATH MINUTE.
*bops Starlord and Cornelia on the head with the big soft ball on the top of his staff.
We don't need our own waco type event right here.
I'm not going to attempt to moderate, since that's not my job, and apparently I'm no good at it anyway.
What I am good at is this:
There was this italian and this american. They both die and go to heaven. In heaven st peter at the gates looks at them both and says "what have you done do deserve entrance to heaven?" The Italian says "I have protested in the streets against indgnities of human rights violations" and the American says "Me too"

Sorry, no punchline, because there's nothing funny about people fighting.
:-(
@);-
Corny, it was a flippant comment made by starload that set you off, and he did indeed not mean it racistically, Starlord, you've both said your peace, please leave it be or take it outside.

Judge Bean

Originally posted by Cornelia@Sep 1 2004, 10:41 PM
StarLord,
1) I don't use Webster. I use Zingarelli. If you don't like my english, we can speak italian, no problem.
2) The old story \"I have many friends\" (jews, black, chinese ets). Well, you have the wrong friends from the garlic perspective: they are americans... with some very far italian relatives somewhere. Believe me, here in Italy we eat garlic as often as you do: as few as possible because, believe it or not again, italians HATE garlic breath. Yes, we're civilized and don't like to smell badly.
3) Did I seem racist with americans? Maybe. But remember, I'm speaking a foreign language. Again, you're welcome to speak italian from now on.
4)What is \"bear feet\"? Never heard. My old italian grandmother used to wear stiletto heels.

Paul,
sorry, I can't take a deep breath when I'm too close to StarLord. He doesn't like the smell.

But Americans are not a racial or cultural stock; we consist of all others, and even with all of the racial mixing you don't get a new race or culture. Many of us who are mixed pick a native culture the way we can pretty much pick a hometown. "African American," for example, includes all of the old racist categories of "mulatto" and "quadroon" (ask Cary); I have friends whose ancestors come from more than one continent.

Cookies for breakfast? I'm sorry, but that doesn't quite fit with my perception of the passionate Italians. Please tell me that they were spiced in some way instead of bland English sugar cookies.

In this country, as I'm sure you know from visiting here, we acquire whatever we want from other cultures and races and discard the peripheral stuff (like having to actually be physically present in the country in question).

Also, many Americans are fiercely proud of their ancestry and do not consider themselves somehow less Italian or Spanish or Irish or Chinese on account of having ancestors three or four generations removed. It is, frankly, a mystery; you'd think it would give us broken personalities.

I'm sorry to go on and on about this, but I would like to cover the nastiness here with as much regular talk as possible. The personalities here are very strong and expressive, and they frequently bump into one another.

Freshly farmed garlic is a wonderful smell.

StarLord

Paul,

The only thing missing at the Gilroy garlic festival is REFRIGERATION.

It's hard trying to enjoy a pound and a half of cooked garlic on your plate when its a cool 98 degrees in the shade there.

Cornelia

Paul,
once I was giving an italian recipe to an american friend (online). It was a recipe for four people. When it came on garlic, he said "four cloves?" I answered "are you crazy? half clove!" He couldn't believe it. He seemed outraged I wanted to put *only* half clove in an italian recipe for four. Well, I couldn't add we don't put ANY garlic in that recipe... he wanted so badly to put garlic that I didn't feel to disappoint him.

There's something I think you must learn. Whatever your "Italian American" friends say about italian customs... well, it is 99% untrue. They are proud to be Italian, OK, but they're different from italians like day and night. You should know this, like we know Americans are not going around horse riding and fighting with Indians. Free yourselves from clich?s.

What italians (the real thing) eat for breakfast:
- Sweet cookies with marmalade and milk
or
- French sweet croissants with cappuccino
or
- Kellogg's corn flakes and milk (children of course)

Feel free to ask anything else.

StarLord,
you feel yourself so superior you made a comment I don't understand. Well, who cares?