Misanthropy

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Note: I am not a doctor.

Misanthropy, defined by Merriam-Webster, is the hatred or mistrust of people, or basically, all of mankind. I think we run into a lot of people like this, especially online. There is always that one person who hates everybody they meet. They will find an excuse to be mad at them and hate them. They never forgive, can never take a joke, etc. There are many causes of this disorder and, fortunately, there are treatments available for those who suffer from it.

Some of the symptoms of Misanthropy, besides the basic hatred of others, mimic symptoms of anxiety or panic attacks. These include, feelings of panic, terror and dread, trembling, rapid heart beat, and avoidance. Avoiding people, not talking to other people, blocking conversations online, not looking at others, and hiding out indoors are a few examples of this avoidance.

How on Earth does someone acquire such a disorder? It is actually itself a symptom of a larger issue such as:

Adult ADHD
ADHD
Alzheimer Disease
Migraines
Concentration Disorders
Stroke
Bipolar Disorder
Schizophrenia
Epilepsy

Fortunately, treatments are available. Again, I am not a doctor, so don't sue me for writing this article and please, PLEASE, see a doctor for ANY condition or symptom that you have. Research yourself and see a professional. That being said, the apparent treatments include behavior therapy and anti-anxiety medication.

In retrospect, please keep in mind that there is hope out there, even for those who dislike most human beings.

Sources:
Misanthropy Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatments and Causes - RightDiagnosis.com
Meriam-Webster dictionary

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I believe that there are quite a bit of these people who are hanging around on the Internets, ending up on message boards like ours. That being said, I'm really no doctor either.

I believe these people are, in real life, probably able to keep people from noticing they have such behavior issues. They're usually very good to hide it, the only other people knowing about it being their close family and boyfriend/girlfriend (husband/wife) for instance. What do you think?

On the Internet though, they can reveal themselves, it's an anonymous place! That can lead to a lot of serious and weird situations in which everyone feels bad.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Yes, the internet creates an outlet for all kinds of people. It's easier to lash out and say things you would never say to someone's face.

Aryeandris

Like, it would be very easy for me to get angry that you posted this.
Is it directed towards MEEEE?!?!!!
I do have symptoms.
However they are symptoms from Tourette's Syndrome.
I believe people who are like this on the internet are this way due to being miserable in their own life and feel a lack of control or maybe they never get heard like they want to.
It kind of reminds me of a few correctional officers I had to deal with in prison.
They would go out of their way to get upset over anything, usually petty things. The type of person who LOOKS & FINDS offense, to justify a reason to lash out.
It would upset me at first. After alot of thinking I finally realized it wasn't ME they were mad at.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
92fsl.jpg