multi-verse may be here sooner than anyone thought..

kcwildman

Beastmaster
found this little article while goofin off and thought you all might like to see it..

What?!", you may be asking yourself from reading the headline. "Time travel to the past — almost here?! Why haven't I heard about this before?".
Well, like they say — there's a first time for everything. Actually, however, this is not new, just under reported. The subject of time travel itself, however, has gotten plenty of press — the problem is that the greater majority of it is highly inaccurate and outdated theories that have been rehashed for decades. These stories are then aimed at, or even perpetrated by members of "geek" culture. So, it ends up as the blind leading the blind.

Harte

It's an interesting idea, but flawed by bias.
He states: "This is no longer up for debate — parallel universes have been proven to be real through physical experiments described in Tim Folger Discovers A Time Machine. "
Which is not the case.

The entire thing hinges on the Copenhagen Interpretation being the correct (and real) way to interpret results.
There are many "official" interpretations of QM, 14 different ones summarized below:

A couple of those (besides the straight-up Copenhagen Interpretation) might allow for the author's hypothesis, but it's a cinch that the rest don't, and there is (at present) no way to distinguish between the various interpretations.

Note that the interpretations above are merely the most commonly debated. The interpretation the author uses is not included in the chart (stems from Copenhagen) but is listed at the source (wiki.)

Harte

kcwildman

Beastmaster
is it really bias to think your right ? I mean don't we all have to believe we are right ? how else could we function, or ever hope to do the right thing ?
anyway the idea seemed to me, to be a more likely direction to persue. of late there have been several articles about the multi-verse, and weather we can or even should open a gate/door. well I am not to sure I want to open a door not knowing for sure just what is on the other side. it kinda reminded me of the show ( sliders ) with the twist of time . I did get a chuckle when it referred to the delorean as a useable transport devise and yet rejected the tardis cause it moved through space to.. well shit the delorean goes 88 miles an hour,, it moves too!!

Harte

is it really bias to think your right ? I mean don't we all have to believe we are right ? how else could we function, or ever hope to do the right thing ?
Sure. It's fine to think you're right.
But it's wrong wrong wrong to state that "This is no longer up for debate" when every interpretation of QM can be used to explain your results.

Harte

kcwildman

Beastmaster
Yeah, never mind single timeline time travel violates all kinds of things in physics, as you've read here, and is only logical to people with no understanding of what they're talking about. However, to the nerds, it's logical!

Harte
is this a true statement about actually going to my past? and how the math says no way, cause well, you know me, I really f45king hate all that letters are numbers, and pies are square shit...

samzeman

Yeah, never mind single timeline time travel violates all kinds of things in physics...

To be fair, things violating our theory of physics is how physics as a field progresses. Something violating our current impression of how physics works is never a good reason to discount it; see cue-ball/plum pudding theory of atoms, as an example, if you want. Something violating our theory just means it needs improvement.

Harte

Yeah, never mind single timeline time travel violates all kinds of things in physics, as you've read here, and is only logical to people with no understanding of what they're talking about. However, to the nerds, it's logical!

Harte
is this a true statement about actually going to my past? and how the math says no way, cause well, you know me, I really f45king hate all that letters are numbers, and pies are square shit...
If your asking me if time travel into the past is mathematically impossible, the the answer to that is an emphatic no.
It IS mathematically possible.
It's the dang engineering that's the problem here.

Harte

kcwildman

Beastmaster
If your asking me if time travel into the past is mathematically impossible, the the answer to that is an emphatic no.
It IS mathematically possible.
It's the dang engineering that's the problem here.

Harte
yes that's it exactly ole man
yeah that's pretty much what I thought when I read it .. but the whole math thing is just not my idea of fun . I am just glad to know the numbers say it can, and so it most likely will happen in the not to distant future . I really would like to retire to the early 1920's ..