Debate My opinion on why time travel is impossible

Jimbi

To put it simply if time travel was possible then wouldn't there be evidence of time travellers right now? Unless they are under some kind of oath of secrecy which I highly doubt because if you were given the power to visit the past how could you keep it a secret or tell people in the past about the future. I'm sorry I just don't think it's possible. Maybe to view the past in astral but not to go physically back or change anything.

Classicalfan626

Visionary
Zenith
When you travel to the past, an alternate timeline branches off from the original, particularly when a change is made, thus the original timeline has no evidence of time travelers. Also, just because evidence of time travelers is not mainstream, doesn't mean it's not out there. It is very arrogant to think people know everything about how physical laws of the universe and the universe itself work. It is also arrogant to think everything that has ever happened in history can be easily verified with what we have in front of us now.

Jimbi

When you travel to the past, an alternate timeline branches off from the original, particularly when a change is made, thus the original timeline has no evidence of time travelers. Also, just because evidence of time travelers is not mainstream, doesn't mean it's not out there. It is very arrogant to think people know everything about how physical laws of the universe and the universe itself work. It is also arrogant to think everything that has ever happened in history can be easily verified with what we have in front of us now.
True

Jimbi

Is that how Titor's predictions didn't come true?

Classicalfan626

Visionary
Zenith
Do you believe in him?
I have no opinion one way or the other about him, actually. I don't really care about Titor, and that's not the reason why I came to this forum site. I came here because I'm a firm believer in time travel, and I'm very interested in it.

Harte

When you travel to the past, an alternate timeline branches off from the original, particularly when a change is made, thus the original timeline has no evidence of time travelers.
There is no reason to assume we are on any "original" timeline though.

Harte

Ultracrackah

I agree with this. I've always wondered how time travel would exactly work. Since reality must be measured or perceived in some way to, in fact, exist doesn't that mean if you travel forward in time you aren't truly traveling to the future your original time will experience? The reality you experience when traveling forward in time would be measured based on your perception of your original time and where it was headed wouldn't it? For example, before the holocaust happened, say a man from America were to travel to 2018. The holocaust was a tragedy many didn't think was possible before it happened, so the future he would experience would possibly be one without the holocaust happening. The past would be the only constant since it's already been measured and experienced and detailed. But since time isn't really a line and the future is constantly in flux with no set destination due to our inability to view it, wouldn't that mean people from the same time could theoretically all experience different futures? I think that would also work as the universe's tool of keeping balance, since no one is sure what future will actually happen, it's near impossible to attempt to control the future and avoid it. I'm obviously no expert but this has always been on my mind.