NASA to beam Beatles song to North Star

Num7

Administrator
Staff
NASA to beam Beatles song to North Star

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/space/02/01/nasa.beatles.ap/index.html

NASA on Monday will broadcast the Beatles' song "Across the Universe" across the galaxy to Polaris, the North Star.
This first-ever beaming of a radio song by the space agency directly into deep space is nostalgia-driven. It celebrates the 40th anniversary of the song, the 45th anniversary of NASA's Deep Space Network, which communicates with its distant probes, and the 50th anniversary of NASA.

But if you wanted to hear it on Polaris, you would need an antenna and a receiver to convert it back to music, the same way people receive satellite television.
I wonder if the ETs use Winamp or WMP.

It will probably take several centuries to get back some Alien music as reply. :rolleyes:

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
Re: NASA to beam Beatles song to North Star

I wonder how carefully stuff like this should be handled. It seems sort of weird to be broadcasting pop-culture into the outer regions of space. You don't quite know how the being who receives it will interpret it.

Condar

Re: NASA to beam Beatles song to North Star

Exactly Mr. Spock. What if they weren't Beatles fans, maybe they liked Elvis. We could indeed start an intergalactic war. But I digress. But, and this is a big but (and I can not lie) some research has said that after about two light years the signal would just basically go to the wind. It would break up and just become noise/static. Of course that could just be what their telling us o_O

The "EyE"