NASA Warp Drive Project..2 week trip to Alpha Centauri

TimeFlipper

I need to remind our members that the "Warp Drive" per se, is not in itself an "engine", but something that has the ability to compress and expand "Spacetime" which in turn carries the craft at speeds many many times faster than luminal velocity.....(Physicist Miguel Alcubierre suggested that Faster Than Light Travel was possible, if you remained Still on a flat piece of Spacetime, inside a "Warp Bubble")...

Please move forward 1.38 minutes into the video, and it will explain how the postulated incredible speed of Spacetime comes into being :)..

Dalet

This door is now closed.
I need to remind our members that the "Warp Drive" per se, is not in itself an "engine", but something that has the ability to compress and expand "Spacetime" which in turn carries the craft at speeds many many times faster than luminal velocity.....(Physicist Miguel Alcubierre suggested that Faster Than Light Travel was possible, if you remained Still on a flat piece of Spacetime, inside a "Warp Bubble")...

Please move forward 1.38 minutes into the video, and it will explain how the postulated incredible speed of Spacetime comes into being :)..

Like... let's surf the wave, dude!

Dalet

This door is now closed.
Why not just take EVERYTHING with us on our trip?

This is Isaac Arthur's latest. His YouTube channel features new episodes every Thursday.

Kairos

Hollowing out an asteroid and creating a biosphere inside of it is basically doing that, and we actually have the propulsion technology to move it to another star system right now.

Dalet

This door is now closed.
Hollowing out an asteroid and creating a biosphere inside of it is basically doing that, and we actually have the propulsion technology to move it to another star system right now.

I once had this thought as well. However, after learning a bit more about the concept, I discovered that simply hollowing out the asteroid won't work, since the spin would tend to break most of them apart. Placing a spinning, manufactured cylinder or sphere inside an asteroid would be better, since the asteroid itself would provide shielding.

Kairos

I once had this thought as well. However, after learning a bit more about the concept, I discovered that simply hollowing out the asteroid won't work, since the spin would tend to break most of them apart. Placing a spinning, manufactured cylinder or sphere inside an asteroid would be better, since the asteroid itself would provide shielding.

It depends upon the rock. Not really for something like Eros 433. That is why I would use.

Break off that one piece and you nearly have a cylinder too.

TimeFlipper

Come on guys, the topic is about using the energy power of "Spacetime" for super-superluminal velocity, not about hollowing out an Asteroid :D..
Please take another look at the video clip of the NASA Warp Drive Project, and by using your combined high intelligences, work out how we can actually make Spacetime a hypothetical energy source...Cheers guys :)..

Kairos

I am more interested in things we can realistically achieve right now, and that we know are actually possible. Warp drives are from space fantasy, not even legit science fiction. If somebody can invent one, then hell yeah, I want to go for a ride. But I don't see the point in opining about the real world applications of space fantasy of the very worst kind.

Dalet

This door is now closed.
Come on guys, the topic is about using the energy power of "Spacetime" for super-superluminal velocity, not about hollowing out an Asteroid :D..
Please take another look at the video clip of the NASA Warp Drive Project, and by using your combined high intelligences, work out how we can actually make Spacetime a hypothetical energy source...Cheers guys :)..

You are right, of course. Sorry for getting off track. It's just that someone mentioned generation and sleeper ships as possible alternatives, and I went a little off topic.

As for our "high intelligences", I can't speak for Kairos, but I have an IQ somewhere between that of a tree stump and an empty soda can.

Last edited:
I live in hope that such a thing can be accomplished, however it is still very much on the "drawing board" stage right now - lots of theory, but no actual, physical testing.

I'm wondering, though: If such a drive can be built, then wouldn't the passengers on a round trip to Proxima Centauri and back still take about eight years, our time, here on Earth - even though they would only experience a month or so on the trip? Or am I missing something?
About the physical testing for a real warp drive, people have done it. It is known as the White-Juday experiment, with more information on it being found in Warp Mechanics 101 and 102