New Zealand to ban smoking for next generation in bid to outlaw habit by 2025

Num7

Administrator
Staff
New Zealand has announced it will outlaw smoking for the next generation, so that those who are aged 14 and under today will never be legally able to buy tobacco.

New legislation means the legal smoking age will increase every year, to create a smoke-free generation of New Zealanders, associate health minister Dr Ayesha Verrall said on Thursday.

“This is a historic day for the health of our people,” she said.

The government announced the rising age alongside other measures to make smoking unaffordable and inaccessible, to try to reach its goal of making the country entirely smoke-free within the next four years. Other measures include reducing the legal amount of nicotine in tobacco products to very low levels, cutting down the shops where cigarettes could legally be sold, and increasing funding to addiction services. The new laws will not restrict vape sales.

Read more:

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Just more of the same old same. More propaganda to outlaw more freedom of choice. I managed to locate the actual death rate for people who smoke. It is 10% that will succumb to lung cancer. No additional studies could be found over that number though. I would have to ask if those that died had poor nutritional habits. And does exercise stave off cancer? One positive note that I discovered is that smoking gives you a larger lung capacity. Your body adapts to the conditions you provide for it. Lots of older folks would probably live longer because of the increased lung capacity.

OakFieldAlienz444

I don't smoke but I did a little when I was younger and support freedom of choice.
I've noticed a trend where people seem to think that you draw the line at freedom when it could
potentially hurt yourself. Thing is you can potentially hurt yourself just by doing anything,
and as the late Bill Hicks put it if some moron fucks up that was his own mistake and no one elses, and
what you have is one less idiot. I don't really view it entirely that way, I have a tiny bit more compassion than that----but people who outlaw shit
clearly don't really like the people disobeying the law to begin with so by their own logic they
should let us disgusting peasants hurt ourselves. During prohibition more people drank
alcohol than at any other time, when gun control laws get into place gun sales always go up.
When you outlaw something it just makes people want to do it.
Human nature, and a lot of leftists and/or fascists don't understand that basic human psychology.
I also never quite understood why criminals are not allowed to commit suicide in prison (Would they not be doing society a favor?).

Last edited:

OakFieldAlienz444

I always found it hilarious how most of the anti-smoking propaganda is literally run by
the Big Cigarette industry. Hypocrites everywhere, are they trying to lose money? rofl.

Parazite1986

Not only that but DARE did the disservice to the youth by saying don’t smoke or drink drugs, which caused kids to smoke marijuana and cigarettes more.

next, kids will be told to stay away from both drugs and herbs and take big pharmaceutical drugs instead

I was one of casualties of the drug war

Last edited:

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Banning things creates crime. See American prohibition 1920 to 1933. Also, it makes it seem more interesting and adventurous to the youth.
Education is key. I showed my kids pictures of black lungs due to smoking and I guarantee they will never try a cigarette. The commercials we had last year showing the unfortunate souls who have been malformed from smoking/cancer were quite effective, IMHO. The anti-drug campaigns at school seem to be working. My teenage daughter informed me that caffeine is a drug and she never wants it. She isn't wrong.

Education instead of banning. That's my stance. And yes, freedom to choose...