Bael: The Complete Demon Profile

Occultist

Occultist.net
Aliases: Baal, Baall, Baël, Bael, Ba’al, Ba’al-Hammon, Babeal, Bel, Boal, Boall, Astaroth, Moloch, Molech, Moloch-Baal, Beelzebub, Baelzebub, Molech, Marduk, Martuk, Hadad(?), Adad(?) plural: Baalim or Ba’alim, Baali, feminine: Baalah, Ba’alat, Ba’alath

Possible alternative names: Addu, Hadad, Ishkur, Ramman, Resheph, Rimmon, Teshub

Titles: Lord of this Earth, King of Hell, Prince of Hell, Duke of Hell

Possible additional titles: the canal controller, Lord of the flies

Baal appears in the following grimoires: The Luciferian Goetia ( 2007 ) by Michael Ford, Pseudomonarchia Daemonum by Johann Wier, Dictionnaire Infernal by Jacques Auguste Simon Collin de Plancy, Le Grand Grimoire, The Lesser Key of Solomon -Goetia by S. L. MacGregor Mathers and Aleister Crowley, The Grimoire of Pope Honorius

Bael also appears in the Bible.

Description​

220px-01-Bael_seal.jpg

Baal/Bael has different forms. His oldest form is that of an ancient pagan god of fertility, worshiped by some of the oldest civilizations such as the Sumerians, Babylonians, Phoenicians aka Canaanites, Israelites, Egyptians and many others.

In his form as a pagan god, Baal shows himself as a powerful man with the head of a bull and feathered wings. In this form Baal may wield lightning, much like Zeus. He also appears as a brazen bull or a golden calf idol. He may also show himself as a man.

As the first principle spirit of the Goetia, and mighty king of Hell, Bael may appear as a cat, a toad or a man, or in a shape that has the head of all three. This form is also depicted as having spider legs. He speaks with a hoarse voice. According to Thomas Rudd, Bael is opposed by the Shemhamphorasch angel Vehuiah.

Powers and Abilities​

As a god Baal is a god of rains and storms, fertility and good harvests. He took within himself a holy power of fire to battle and slay Tiamat, goddess of chaos. From her remains he formed the world, making him the Lord of this Earth. He regularly battled Mot, a god of death and the underworld. If he won, then the next seven years would bring abundant harvests, if he lost then the land would be barren for seven years, or until his sister(?) Anat found him and gave him a proper burial. He returned with the next harvest after that.

Baal controlled the rains and dew, which were said to be like his semen, falling on the earth and making her fertile with life. He also had the power of lightning like Zeus. Baal or Bel fought his father El or Enke, and won rulership over the gods, or Elohim. Early stories depict him as a savior of the gods and humanity, who dies and rises again.

Bael is the first spirit of Ars Goetia. Across multiple sources he is said to have the ability to make men wise, turn them invisible or teach invisibility. Baal can shapeshift, and teach you to shapeshift in your dreams. Baal has the power of necromancy and can teach necromancy. Baal is a demonic tutor of the arts and sciences. He can also make the summoner popular. Baal may cause other demons to be worshiped as gods. He has by different accounts 250 legions of spirits, familiars or devils and may grant control of 66 legions. Baal’s powers increase during October.

I’ve already shared a simple Bael summoning ritual that you can try on your own if you wish to assume one of these powers or to get in touch with this powerful god-turned-demon. Or you can contact me to perform the ritual on your behalf.

Attributes:​

• Wife: Asherah aka Ishtar, aka Istarte aka Astarte or Anat
  • Direction: East
  • Alternate Direction: South
  • Numbers: 6, 60,66, 666, 9
  • Planet: Sun
  • Alternate Planets: Jupiter, Venus
  • Metals: Gold, iron, bronze
  • Element: Fire
  • Alternate Elements: Earth, water, wind, lightning
  • Zodiac: 0-4 Degrees of Aries
  • Alternate Zodiacs: Taurus, Capricorn
  • Incense: Frankincense
  • Colors: Yellow, black, red, rainbows

Enn: Ayer secore on ca Bael

Commentaries on Ancient Worshippers of Baal​

Baal was a common title of respect for gods and kings and other powerful figures. It meant something like king, master or husband. The kings of Mesopotamian cities often controlled the canals, so its no wonder that he is connected to canals and fertility. Those without canals or irrigation ditches prayed for the rain and morning dew that their crops relied on.

Many spirits of the Goetia were once the pagan gods of ancient and advanced civilizations. The Phoenicians, who are often mentioned as having worshipped Baal, were a Semitic people and great traders. They were one of the first to advance ships, navigate by the stars, by the first ship’s navigation instruments.

They had the first known alphabet and many settlements and cities. Due to their trading engagements they were quite literate. They wrote on papyrus or parchment, not so much on clay tablets. So, sadly their writings did not stand the test of time. Their enemies eventually burned their great libraries. The remains of the city of Byblos stand witness to Phoenician civilizational development. Unesco acknowledges that:

Byblos is also directly associated with the history and diffusion of the Phoenician alphabet. The origin of our contemporary alphabet was discovered in Byblos with the most ancient Phoenician inscription carved on the sarcophagus of Ahiram.

Their temples were desecrated by invaders and most of the sources on the Phoenicians that we have today come from their rivals and enemies. Apart from being knowns as great seafarers, traders and magicians, they also invented the purple dye that is associated with royalty. We can only guess to what extent Baal worship influenced these outcomes.

Commentaries on Baal and Child Sacrifice​

It is debatable due to the many biased sources and accounts that child sacrifice to Baal ever actually happened in antiquity. All sources claiming child sacrifice are from rival religions or cultures.

Instead, it is likely that the Canaanites and other Baal worshippers used the same altars and temples that were used for prayers and sacrifice for cremation. It is charitable to say that this may have caused some confusion to outsiders. The practice seems to have caused some false interpretations based on archeological remains.

Many ancient cultures practiced sending animals, gifts and various goods with their deceased to the other side. It is a wild claim to say that anyone sacrificed their own beloved children with animals to demons or dark, bloodthirsty gods. This may be one of the very first examples of a blood libel. That is a repeated lie that the people you don’t like are evil or perform sacrifices in rituals.

It is important to remember that in antiquity the child mortality rate was high. Out of ten children, seven were likely to die as infants and out of the other three, only one or two might survive to reach adulthood. “Adulthood” in this case really just means puberty. The remains associated with Baal worship and Phoenician grave sites reflect this, according to some archeologists.

The Brazen Bull Punishment & Idol​

The practice of putting humans into a metal brazen bull idol was an ancient punishment for the worst crimes. The cries of the adult criminal and the sound of the metal bull made it sound like the metal bull was roaring. That served as a warning to others. Something similar may have happened to criminals in Baal-worshiping societies.

Other large metal idols associated with Baal are a large metal statue that also served as an altar, and a furnace with one or seven chambers for burnt offerings. It is very unlikely that those offering would ever include living, healthy children. It is possible that as a sacred altar with holy fire that got hot enough that it was also used for cremation. Temples have often been used to dispose of human remains respectfully and to handle grief.

Metions of Baal/Bael in Grimoires & Bible​

From The Lesser Key of Solomon – Goetia by S. L. MacGregor Mathers and Aleister Crowley​

(1.) BAEL. – The First Principal Spirit is a King ruling in the East, called Bael. He maketh thee to go Invisible. He ruleth over 66 Legions of Infernal Spirits. He appeareth in divers shapes, sometimes like a Cat, sometimes like a Toad, and sometimes like a Man, and sometimes all these forms at once. He speaketh hoarsely. This is his character which is used to be worn as a Lamen before him who calleth him forth, or else he will not do thee homage.

From The Luciferian Goetia ( 2007 ) by Michael Ford​

Bael is a spirit of shape shifting – by the cat (stealth and instinct), by toad (the form of Ahriman, the gateway of self-initiation of the Devil or Anglican Witchcraft Lore). When one summons Bael it should be done so in the evocation circle – absorb the essence within this circle – focus the mind to be aligned and shadowed with the spirits anthropomorphic identification, until “he” becomes you. You will then work on your ability to shape shift in dreams. The 66 legions of spirit familiars may be commanded by will to produce some results of what you seek in the obtainment of knowledge. Bael is a powerful familiar spirit who may bring one much instinctual impulses in relation to animals and dream shape shifting.

From the Pseudomonarchia Daemonum ( 1583 ) by Johann Weyer ( Johann Wier )​

Their first king (which is of the power of the east) is called Baëll who when he is conjured up, appeareth with three heads; the first, like a tode; the second, like a man; the third, like a cat. He speaketh with a hoarse voice, he maketh a man go invisible [and wise], he hath under his obedience and rule sixtie and six legions of divels.

Original Text:

Primus Rex, qui est de potestate Orientis, dicitur Baël, apparens tribus capitibus, quorum unum assimilatur bufoni alterum homini, tertium feli. Rauca loquitur voce, formator morum and insignis certator, reddit hominem invisibilem and sapientem. Huic obediunt sexagintasex legiones.

From the Dictionnaire Infernal (edition of 1863 ) by Jacques Auguste Simon Collin de Plancy​

According to Le Grand Grimoire, Bael is the head of the infernal powers. He is also the first Demon listed in Wierus’ Pseudomonarchia Daemonum. According to Wierus, Bael is first king of hell with estates in the East. He has three heads: a toad, a man, and a cat. He also speaks in a raucous, but well formed voice, and commands 66 legions. Bael teaches the art of invisibility, and may be the equivalent of Baal.

Original Text:

Baël, démon cité; dans le Grand Grimoire, entète des puissances infernales; C’est aussi par luique Wierus commencé l’inventaire, de sa fameusePseudomonarchia doemonum.Il appelleBaël le premier roi de l’enfer ; ses États sontdans la partie orientale. Il se montre avec troistètes, dont Tune a la figure d’un crapaud, l’autrecelle d’un homme, la troisième celle d’un chat.

Verses About Baal from 10 Books of the King James Bible:​

Numbers 22:41

And it came to pass on the morrow, that Balak took Balaam, and brought him up into the high places of Baal, that thence he might see the utmost [part] of the people.

Judges 2:13

And they forsook the LORD, and served Baal and Ashtaroth.

Judges 6:25

And it came to pass the same night, that the LORD said unto him, Take thy father’s young bullock, even the second bullock of seven years old, and throw down the altar of Baal that thy father hath, and cut down the grove that [is] by it:

Judges 6:28

And when the men of the city arose early in the morning, behold, the altar of Baal was cast down, and the grove was cut down that [was] by it, and the second bullock was offered upon the altar [that was] built.

Judges 6:30

Then the men of the city said unto Joash, Bring out thy son, that he may die: because he hath cast down the altar of Baal, and because he hath cut down the grove that [was] by it.

Judges 6:31

And Joash said unto all that stood against him, Will ye plead for Baal? will ye save him? he that will plead for him, let him be put to death whilst [it is yet] morning: if he [be] a god, let him plead for himself, because [one] hath cast down his altar.

Judges 6:32

Therefore on that day he called him Jerubbaal, saying, Let Baal plead against him, because he hath thrown down his altar.

Kings-1 16:31

And it came to pass, as if it had been a light thing for him to walk in the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, that he took to wife Jezebel the daughter of Ethbaal king of the Zidonians, and went and served Baal, and worshipped him.

Kings-1 16:32

And he reared up an altar for Baal in the house of Baal, which he had built in Samaria.

Kings-1 18:19

Now therefore send, [and] gather to me all Israel unto mount Carmel, and the prophets of Baal four hundred and fifty, and the prophets of the groves four hundred, which eat at Jezebel’s table.

Kings-1 18:25

And Elijah said unto the prophets of Baal, Choose you one bullock for yourselves, and dress [it] first; for ye [are] many; and call on the name of your gods, but put no fire [under].

Kings-1 18:26

And they took the bullock which was given them, and they dressed [it], and called on the name of Baal from morning even until noon, saying, O Baal, hear us. But [there was] no voice, nor any that answered. And they leaped upon the altar which was made.

Kings-1 18:40

And Elijah said unto them, Take the prophets of Baal; let not one of them escape. And they took them: and Elijah brought them down to the brook Kishon, and slew them there.

Kings-1 19:18

Yet I have left [me] seven thousand in Israel, all the knees which have not bowed unto Baal, and every mouth which hath not kissed him.

Kings-2 10:19

Now therefore call unto me all the prophets of Baal, all his servants, and all his priests; let none be wanting: for I have a great sacrifice [to do] to Baal; whosoever shall be wanting, he shall not live. But Jehu did [it] in subtlety, to the intent that he might destroy the worshippers of Baal.

Kings-2 10:21

And Jehu sent through all Israel: and all the worshippers of Baal came, so that there was not a man left that came not. And they came into the house of Baal; and the house of Baal was full from one end to another.

Kings-2 10:22

And he said unto him that [was] over the vestry, Bring forth vestments for all the worshippers of Baal. And he brought them forth vestments.

Kings-2 10:23

And Jehu went, and Jehonadab the son of Rechab, into the house of Baal, and said unto the worshippers of Baal, Search, and look that there be here with you none of the servants of the LORD, but the worshippers of Baal only.

Kings-2 10:25

And it came to pass, as soon as he had made an end of offering the burnt offering, that Jehu said to the guard and to the captains, Go in, [and] slay them; let none come forth. And they smote them with the edge of the sword; and the guard and the captains cast [them] out, and went to the city of the house of Baal.

Kings-2 10:26

And they brought forth the images out of the house of Baal, and burned them.

Kings-2 10:27

And they brake down the image of Baal, and brake down the house of Baal, and made it a draught house unto this day.

Kings-2 10:28

Thus Jehu destroyed Baal out of Israel.

Kings-2 11:18

And all the people of the land went into the house of Baal, and brake it down; his altars and his images brake they in pieces thoroughly, and slew Mattan the priest of Baal before the altars. And the priest appointed officers over the house of the LORD.

Kings-2 17:16

And they left all the commandments of the LORD their God, and made them molten images, [even] two calves, and made a grove, and worshipped all the host of heaven, and served Baal.

Kings-2 21:3

For he built up again the high places which Hezekiah his father had destroyed; and he reared up altars for Baal, and made a grove, as did Ahab king of Israel; and worshipped all the host of heaven, and served them.

Kings-2 23:4

And the king commanded Hilkiah the high priest, and the priests of the second order, and the keepers of the door, to bring forth out of the temple of the LORD all the vessels that were made for Baal, and for the grove, and for all the host of heaven: and he burned them without Jerusalem in the fields of Kidron, and carried the ashes of them unto Bethel.

Kings-2 23:5

And he put down the idolatrous priests, whom the kings of Judah had ordained to burn incense in the high places in the cities of Judah, and in the places round about Jerusalem; them also that burned incense unto Baal, to the sun, and to the moon, and to the planets, and to all the host of heaven.

Chronicles-1 4:33

And all their villages that [were] round about the same cities, unto Baal. These [were] their habitations, and their genealogy.

Chronicles-1 9:36

And his firstborn son Abdon, then Zur, and Kish, and Baal, and Ner, and Nadab,

Chronicles-2 23:17

Then all the people went to the house of Baal, and brake it down, and brake his altars and his images in pieces, and slew Mattan the priest of Baal before the altars.

Jeremiah 2:8

The priests said not, Where [is] the LORD? and they that handle the law knew me not: the pastors also transgressed against me, and the prophets prophesied by Baal, and walked after [things that] do not profit.

Jeremiah 7:9

Will ye steal, murder, and commit adultery, and swear falsely, and burn incense unto Baal, and walk after other gods whom ye know not;

Jeremiah 11:13

For [according to] the number of thy cities were thy gods, O Judah; and [according to] the number of the streets of Jerusalem have ye set up altars to [that] shameful thing, [even] altars to burn incense unto Baal.

Jeremiah 11:17

For the LORD of hosts, that planted thee, hath pronounced evil against thee, for the evil of the house of Israel and of the house of Judah, which they have done against themselves to provoke me to anger in offering incense unto Baal.

Jeremiah 12:16

And it shall come to pass, if they will diligently learn the ways of my people, to swear by my name, The LORD liveth; as they taught my people to swear by Baal; then shall they be built in the midst of my people.

Jeremiah 19:5

They have built also the high places of Baal, to burn their sons with fire [for] burnt offerings unto Baal, which I commanded not, nor spake [it], neither came [it] into my mind:

Jeremiah 23:13

And I have seen folly in the prophets of Samaria; they prophesied in Baal, and caused my people Israel to err.

Jeremiah 23:27

Which think to cause my people to forget my name by their dreams which they tell every man to his neighbour, as their fathers have forgotten my name for Baal.

Jeremiah 32:29

And the Chaldeans, that fight against this city, shall come and set fire on this city, and burn it with the houses, upon whose roofs they have offered incense unto Baal, and poured out drink offerings unto other gods, to provoke me to anger.

Jeremiah 32:35

And they built the high places of Baal, which [are] in the valley of the son of Hinnom, to cause their sons and their daughters to pass through [the fire] unto Molech; which I commanded them not, neither came it into my mind, that they should do this abomination, to cause Judah to sin.

Hosea 2:8

For she did not know that I gave her corn, and wine, and oil, and multiplied her silver and gold, [which] they prepared for Baal.

Hosea 13:1

When Ephraim spake trembling, he exalted himself in Israel; but when he offended in Baal, he died.

Zephania 1:4

I will also stretch out mine hand upon Judah, and upon all the inhabitants of Jerusalem; and I will cut off the remnant of Baal from this place, [and] the name of the Chemarims with the priests;

Romans 11:4

But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to [the image of] Baal.

Bael’s Enn​

Baal’s 1933 Chicago World’s Fair Appearance​

Part 1 PQ

Part 2

The post Bael: The Complete Demon Profile appeared first on Occultist.

Source: Occultist | Bael: The Complete Demon Profile