On Demand Society - Being Spoonfed Information

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
We now live in an on-demand society and more and more people expect answers and information to come to them instantly without any thinking, research, learning, or effort on their part. It's actually quite sad.

Here is an example. (Please note, this isn't a post about John Titor. This is just an example):

I can tell you about the John Titor saga, as much as I know, the entire story. Someone comes along with negative remarks because I didn't provide evidence that time travel exists in my story. Shouldn't this person, instead, be curious and go out and research time travel himself to find out if it is real or not? Why is the story teller responsible for his belief system?

Some people also want to make quick judgements without doing an ounce of research. Again, it's an on-demand society. Instant gratification. Too lazy to do the work it takes to find out answers. I bet that these same type of people refuse to read books because they can't get their instant gratification.

What made me post this? I am responding to a comment on YouTube about my news show. My show is a quick news show. Want more information? Do the research. I'm not the Science Channel, Stephen Hawking, a teacher, or PBS. I am not going to spoon feed education and research. That's your job.

Food for thought.

TnWatchdog

You tell 'em Paula. Trolls are lazy and some don't even know how to read.

Bullethead21

I sorta agree......trolls are one thing......I get that......but where does the "RESPONSIBILITY" lie in the storyteller??

Are we talking "stories" or "NEWS"? There is a big difference ya know...........

ANYONE can tell "srories"........but a "journalist" reports news........

And with being a journalist "should" come responsibility in making SURE what they report is TRUE!!

This "instant" on demand attitude as you put it mostly comes from Google and YouTube......

There was a time not long ago when if you wanted to know something, you had to go find the information....like in a BOOK, or from a teacher........now ANY question can be answered with Google......instantantly.

Same with YouTube.........I've seen idiots that think they are experts after a 5 minute YouTube video......

So I have to ask Paula, are you doing enough research on the news stories you report? Are you checking your sources, are you fact checking......or do you get your information for your news stories from a quick Google search or headline???

Without the proper "context" there is no understanding of truth......period.

So, are you a "storyteller" or are you a journalist??

P.S. Just to be clear, I have not seen any of your YouTube channel videos as of late......I watched the first ones you did though and thought they were pretty good.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
I sorta agree......trolls are one thing......I get that......but where does the "RESPONSIBILITY" lie in the storyteller??

Are we talking "stories" or "NEWS"? There is a big difference ya know...........

ANYONE can tell "srories"........but a "journalist" reports news........

And with being a journalist "should" come responsibility in making SURE what they report is TRUE!!

This "instant" on demand attitude as you put it mostly comes from Google and YouTube......

There was a time not long ago when if you wanted to know something, you had to go find the information....like in a BOOK, or from a teacher........now ANY question can be answered with Google......instantantly.

Same with YouTube.........I've seen idiots that think they are experts after a 5 minute YouTube video......

So I have to ask Paula, are you doing enough research on the news stories you report? Are you checking your sources, are you fact checking......or do you get your information for your news stories from a quick Google search or headline???

So, are you a "storyteller" or are you a journalist??

P.S. Just to be clear, I have not seen any of your YouTube channel videos as of late......I watched the first ones you did though and thought they were pretty good.

I'm providing nothing more than entertainment. If you don't like it, don't listen. Period.

It's not my job to PROVE things to you. Do your own research.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Furthermore, my show is MEANT to be a quick news show. I work. I care for children. I take care of a house and finances. If you want a documentary, please go find one. I am going to create what I want to create and people are perfectly free to pass it by. There lots of documentaries on Netflix and cable for you to enjoy. Bon appetit.

Harte

The understanding of truth doesn't come from news stories, good journalism or not. Best you can hope for is an understanding of the facts as they stand. "Truth" requires interpretation of those facts.

Besides, Paula provides only a digest of current time-travel-related stories. There's no obligation on her part to check the veracity. That's not what her show is about.

Harte

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith

The understanding of truth doesn't come from news stories, good journalism or not. Best you can hope for is an understanding of the facts as they stand. "Truth" requires interpretation of those facts.

Besides, Paula provides only a digest of current time-travel-related stories. There's no obligation on her part to check the veracity. That's not what her show is about.

Harte

You explained it better than me. I give snippets, food for thought, and then a quick opinion. It's just the style I wish to do at the moment. Titles are click bait and keyword bait, so if you are judging a show by the YouTube Title, that wouldn't be very wise, either. I simply chose to make people aware of different news items and what they do with that information is their responsibility.

I don't have TIME for an in depth, all inclusive documentary type show. This is what I am offering at the moment and it's fun and creative, so I don't plan on changing any time soon! To each their own! If this isn't the style of show someone wants to listen
to, they can move on instead of insulting me in comments on Youtube!!!

(None of this is directed toward you, Harte)

So, Mexico claims to have proof of aliens.... Well, if you want to go prove it, feel free, but I'm reading a headline I found
online..... and it may entice someone to go research further and find the documents.... and if it's not true, anyone is free to show the disputed information and discuss it in comments. Won't hurt my feelings because I'm not the person who originally made the claim.

awareness....I guess that's what I'm doing, spreading awareness and just having fun...