On Passion Projects | So Many Things, So Little Time

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Do you have a passion project ?

Paranormalis is one of my passion projects. I often wish I'd spend more time on it. But what time?

I have several dream projects I'll very likely never do. I'd like to develop and release a game of my own. Compose music for something that gets recognition. Write something, book or ebook. Become a streamer, have a YouTube channel, be a YouTube personality and live off of it. Get better at home improvement. Start my own business online and earn passive revenues, no more 8 to 5 jobs. Wow that list goes on and on.

But... What am I doing? I feel I don't have any time to do anything... what am I supposed to do?

Why do I prefer to sit on my ass, instead of actively working on something? Inertia? When my work day is over and I'm done doing regular day to day stuff... I'm tired and it's almost time to go to bed. And I don't even have kids! What's my problem!?

The examples I gave above take so much time and commitment, I hardly even know where to begin if I was to tackle one of them.

I thought of starting a podcast once. At some point, I noticed how much work it would be and instantly knew I wouldn't be able to commit to it. Do 1, 2 or 3 episodes? Probably. Keep going on a regular schedule? Certainly not.

Am I the only one to feel this way? What are your passion projects, and where and how do you find time for them?

Last edited:

Martian

The way I see it is this: Determine which project will be the most profitable, and focus entirely on that. See it through to completion. Once it becomes profitable, ditch the 8-5 job & you free up so much more time in your daily routine. Hire some people to take over for your initial project, then focus on a second project. One thing at a time, with intense focus, seems like one's best bet. :)

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
I wish I could have a passion project, but I'm ADHD and get distracted and wouldn't finish, or it would take me a very very very long time.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I wish I could have a passion project, but I'm ADHD and get distracted and wouldn't finish, or it would take me a very very very long time.
Didn't you have a blog? Would that count as one?

@Martian Love the way you're seeing it. But there's no way to tell if a project will be profitable in terms of money, or anything else. Then again, it's a risk all business people take... I think I'm looking at this with the wrong mindset. I see the risks rather than the rewards.

Martian

@Martian Love the way you're seeing it. But there's no way to tell if a project will be profitable in terms of money, or anything else. Then again, it's a risk all business people take... I think I'm looking at this with the wrong mindset. I see the risks rather than the rewards.
Think of it like bunjee jumping. Don't worry about the possibility of going splat. Think of the rush of successfully bouncing back upward & going on with your next adventure afterward. :)

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith

I haven't touched it in a while. Always got the impression it wasn't being read.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Ok, perhaps my new one is my Cross Bow. It isn't a project per se, but I just got it and already found that shooting overgrown trees breaks the arrows AND the arrows disappear into oblivion, so I need more. I need a hay bale to shoot. I need this and that now... hahahaha and I can't wait until winter because it's so hot here!

And now that I think some more, I've been studying alligators like crazy - in person and online... and my rabbits I spend a lot of time taking care of and spoiling..and my cats..... Animals ARE my passion. Does this count? I'm surrounding myself with things that bring me joy and they are a lot of work, but worth it. I'm also attempting to rescue tree sprouts from around the pond. They would get weed whacked if I didn't.

Thanks for opening my eyes, num. :)

steven chiverton

think of something inventive that you can put your mind to then rethink that idea now make it better look for something you can add to it to improve it take notes like a research scientist, then look at other ideas even parts of some idea you see may have some clues then add it to your inventive idea till ye get a picture of it then build it experiment with it the peace's will eventually come together dont think of the money aspects of it , its an idea your working on not a money maker yet . read more look everywhere when you see something that resonates with your idea collect it add it to your idea