Original Chat Log - John Titor - October 14, 2000

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
Phil Wainwright - You posted some very good points about the old DOS based machines. I used many old machines so many years ago. I owned one early old IBM DOS machine pictured below that did not much memory and had two 160k floppy disk drives.

History of the IBM PC
A revolution in personal computers, the IBM PC the first PC.
By Mary Bellis

internet27.gif

IBM PC - Man of the Year

Mary Bellis
See More About
In July of 1980, IBM representatives met for the first time with Microsoft's Bill Gates to talk about writing an operating system for IBM's new hush-hush "personal" computer.

IBM had been observing the growing personal computer market for some time. They had already made one dismal attempt to crack the market with their IBM 5100. At one point, IBM considered buying the fledgling game company Atari to commandeer Atari's early line of personal computers. However, IBM decided to stick with making their own personal computer line and developed a brand new operating system to go with.

IBM PC aka Acorn
The secret plans were referred to as "Project Chess". The code name for the new computer was "Acorn". Twelve engineers, led by William C. Lowe, assembled in Boca Raton, Florida, to design and build the "Acorn". On August 12, 1981, IBM released their new computer, re-named the IBM PC. The "PC" stood for "personal computer" making IBM responsible for popularizing the term "PC".

IBM PC Open Architecture
The first IBM PC ran on a 4.77 MHz Intel 8088 microprocessor. The PC came equipped with 16 kilobytes of memory, expandable to 256k. The PC came with one or two 160k floppy disk drives and an optional color monitor. The price tag started at $1,565, which would be nearly $4,000 today.

Phil Wainwright

I used to know where I stood with the old systems, ha, 16K ram? tsk, you kids, what on earth do you need all of that for? :D

I used to service one piece of kit that had a 16 BIT core memory... ferrites with sense wires... :D Proper computers...

Even realigning heads on taper drives used to be simple... write a series of 1 across the width of the tap, sprinkle iron filings across it, and then use a ruler to see which were not in line.... Ah, the good old days :D

I can even remember some of the old mnemonics for Z80.. if I recall correctly, JP XXXX was jump to, with no return and CA XXXX was in effect the gosub command...... happy days :)