Pondering time

Aryeandris

Time. What is it?
In my opinion, it's just a count of how many times the earth has revolved around the sun. If I have that wrong, fill me in please? I would be more insulted if no one told me.
So, during any time of day or night, it's not just a number on a screen or clock. 4pm. Is actually a location... I mean, of the Earth. Right?
Anyway, a thought I have been chewing over..
What if, time doesn't really exist yet controls everything? If time travel is possible (I will tell u I do think so) does that mean that time...recycles itself in a way? Or... our original timeline has already come to an end, & now we are living on a sort of "borrowed time", in many parallel universes, created by time travelers of the future??
Food for thought my friends, and as always, I would love to hear what anyone has to say..good bad or ugly lol as long as it is truth :)

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
None of us understands what it is. But it is a research project of mine. Time appears to always be associated with other processes. Motion, charge, and weight seem to be basic processes associated with time. Maybe controlling each one of these processes can lead to a more thorough understanding of time.

Aryeandris

If UOTE="Einstein, post: 83511, member: 288"]None of us understands what it is. But it is a research project of mine. Time appears to always be associated with other processes. Motion, charge, and weight seem to be basic processes associated with time. Maybe controlling each one of these processes can lead to a more thorough understanding of time.[/QUOTE]
If Titor was right (was he?) About time slowing down the further you are from gravity, does this mean there is no time on the moon??
I was awful at science in school even though I am curious about many scientific matters LOL
I would so be in a white (or green! ) lab coat doing crazy experiments if I didn't seem to have some sort of mental block there..
The thoughts, the curiousities, they never end though.

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
It is very frustrating when I see so many books on time travel for sale, written by supposedly prominent people that have no clue what time is and what time travel really is about. They write hundreds of pages and say absolutely nothing about what time travel is and how to obtain it. A few people propose using the Tripler black hole theory to Time Travel, which is very dumb, because you're dead if you try to jump through a active black hole. Maybe someday when I retire, if I ever retire, I might write a book on time travel and how to Time Travel.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
If UOTE="Einstein, post: 83511, member: 288"]None of us understands what it is. But it is a research project of mine. Time appears to always be associated with other processes. Motion, charge, and weight seem to be basic processes associated with time. Maybe controlling each one of these processes can lead to a more thorough understanding of time.
If Titor was right (was he?) About time slowing down the further you are from gravity, does this mean there is no time on the moon??
I was awful at science in school even though I am curious about many scientific matters LOL
I would so be in a white (or green! ) lab coat doing crazy experiments if I didn't seem to have some sort of mental block there..
The thoughts, the curiousities, they never end though.[/QUOTE]

Time speeds up outside the influence of gravity. The moon has gravity too, so time would run slower there. But not as slowly as it does here on earth. Time runs much more slowly on the sun, because gravity is so strong there. The light from the sun is red-shifted due to this slowing down of time.

Earthmasque

It should be pointed out that the time effects from gravitation are relative. That is, time does not slow down for an observer in the gravitational field. If that person's flow of time is observed by someone else, someone not in the gravitational field (or not so deep into the field,) the second observer will see the first observer's time slow down, as measured by the second observer's time flow.

Aryeandris

It should be pointed out that the time effects from gravitation are relative. That is, time does not slow down for an observer in the gravitational field. If that person's flow of time is observed by someone else, someone not in the gravitational field (or not so deep into the field,) the second observer will see the first observer's time slow down, as measured by the second observer's time flow.
The second person notices bc time HASN'T slowed down for them right? The person(s) experiencing it wouldn't notice though?

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Time. What is it?
In my opinion, it's just a count of how many times the earth has revolved around the sun. If I have that wrong, fill me in please? I would be more insulted if no one told me.
So, during any time of day or night, it's not just a number on a screen or clock. 4pm. Is actually a location... I mean, of the Earth. Right?
Anyway, a thought I have been chewing over..
What if, time doesn't really exist yet controls everything? If time travel is possible (I will tell u I do think so) does that mean that time...recycles itself in a way? Or... our original timeline has already come to an end, & now we are living on a sort of "borrowed time", in many parallel universes, created by time travelers of the future??
Food for thought my friends, and as always, I would love to hear what anyone has to say..good bad or ugly lol as long as it is truth :)

Time is a measurement. It is existence compartmentalized. IMHO.

Earthmasque

The second person notices bc time HASN'T slowed down for them right? The person(s) experiencing it wouldn't notice though?
Only an unaffected observer can see any time differential.

Anyone in a gravity field whose time appears to be slowing down (as observed from outside) can't notice such a thing. To them, their clocks are ticking along at the usual rate.

Rosco..Jones

What is time? My answer needs to include the idea that reality is multidimensional and simultaneous time. First off, let's talk about physical (3D) reality. All possible physical locations exist simultaneously. Two locations, such as NYC & LA, both exist simultaneously now, but are separated by a physical distance. What we call Time is only another type of distance that separates different moment-points. Just as different physical locations can exist simultaneously separated by distance, from a 4D perspective different moment-points can exist simultaneously separated by time, a temporal distance.

Past, present, future and alternate realities sideways in time all exist now. Just as we cannot experience more than one physical location at a time, we cannot experience more than one temporal location at a time. Past(s) and future(s) are both happening now, just as different physical locations can exist now. Google simultaneous time for more on this line of thought.