Properties of so called "time crystals"

KaitoNishijou

Hello again.
In my last question I asked about watches and tricks posted on tapes. And the first answer I recieve (which was quite expected) was 'crystals'.
I'm confused as to what exactly are those crystals. How come they are used in the HDR and several other space-time bending machines yet aren't too valuable?
What do the crystals have to do with anything at all? What are their properties? Coming from a scientific standpoint, how could once explain their effects? What elements are they made of?
As for now I believe them to be pesudoscience which is a bunch of rubbish and nonsense. Change my mind?
Tell me some past experiences, what you know of them, if you used them and how?

Angelface239

Hello again.
In my last question I asked about watches and tricks posted on tapes. And the first answer I recieve (which was quite expected) was 'crystals'.
I'm confused as to what exactly are those crystals. How come they are used in the HDR and several other space-time bending machines yet aren't too valuable?
What do the crystals have to do with anything at all? What are their properties? Coming from a scientific standpoint, how could once explain their effects? What elements are they made of?
As for now I believe them to be pesudoscience which is a bunch of rubbish and nonsense. Change my mind?
Tell me some past experiences, what you know of them, if you used them and how?
I dont really have any.

Harte

Crystals in watches are quartz. Quartz crystals have piezoelectric properties. If you squeeze a quartz crystal, you can get an electron out of it. Conversely, if you send an electron into a quartz crystal, the crystal will change shape.

This converse (second, above,) property of piezoelectricity is used to turn an electrical pulse from the watch circuit into mechanical motion via the change in shape of the quartz crystal. That's eventually what moves the watch hands. The quartz pulses at a cetain, highly accurate frequency and this controls the circuit that moves the watch time forward.

Pretty darn mundane, in the end.
Crystals have no measurable effect on anything else. Space-time bending machines are fantasy.

Harte