Quake Expert: Is the Earth Cracking Up

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
Quake Expert: Is the Earth Cracking Up

croatiantimes.com
A leading earthquake scientist has warned that the planet could be cracking up after a series of massive quakes in just 48 hours.

Expert Gheorghe Marmureanu - from Romania's National Institute of Earth Physics - says 39 quakes had hit the globe within two days.

The series started with two massive quakes in Indonesia measuring 8.6 and 8.2 on the Richter scale rapidly followed by three more only slightly smaller in Mexico within hours.

"There is no doubt that something is seriously wrong. There have been too many strong earthquakes," said Marmureanu.

He added: "The quakes are a surprise that cannot be easily explained by current scientific knowledge. With the Indonesian quake for example, statistically, there should be one big earthquake in this part of Asia every 500 years. However, since 2004, there were already three quakes with a magnitude of over 8, which is not normal.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
So... The planet is going to fall apart?

I don't think that's how plate tectonics work.

peter449

After watching the movie 2012, I thought well, a nice fiction movie. But the recent earthquakes all around the world is making me nervous. Well, may be it's not in 2012 , but I am afraid it may come soon.

Rosco..Jones

Maybe it will let go like a zipper around the ring of fire.
The magnetic pole movement may cause some stresses in the crust that we live on.
Plate interfaces may slip a bit and give us some big tremblers and tsunamis.
Bad times to live on the coast?
All these things do make life more interesting though, don't you think?

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Are such massive earthquakes, events, catastrophes realistic?

We know that at some point in Earth's history there were massive changes, such as (Depending your beliefs though) Noah's flood. What made this happen? Perhaps it was a massive tsunami, or a giant earthquake-chain-reaction that led to the most incredible flood ever.

I believe that these events are not impossible. Are they likely though?

Rosco..Jones

I believe I saw a show where they were talking about the Black Sea. Apparently, at some time in the past the Mediterranean broke through at Istanbul and flooded the Black Sea valley. They commented on how this might have been Noah's flood.

"Are such massive earthquakes, events, catastrophes realistic?"

I'd say not normally, but we never heard these sky sounds before either. There are a lot of interesting things going on right now that involve the Earth. When fault lines are stressed, it may not take much to push past the point of no return. Earthquakes are increasing. Wait and see.

Himalayan Hermit

We've been getting rumbles in California for last few days...May 20th is being looked up on as a day that might bring something (I hope not)

Samstwitch

We've been getting rumbles in California for last few days...May 20th is being looked up on as a day that might bring something (I hope not)

Who is looking at May 20th? Can you give us more info on that? I live in California, moving to Texas near the end of June. Then I won't worry about earthquakes, but I'll be looking out for tornadoes. :eek:

Himalayan Hermit

First of all this :eek: smiley is cracking me up:D.
Anyhow, about the month of May, I came across 2 things. 5th when there is Super Moon and 20th when there is an Eclipse of the Moon (which is where I read the Quake prediction). I will need to check where I read it, and update the thread. Wishing you a good transition to the Lonestar State. :cool: