Question on "Ignore" Feature

Classicalfan626

Visionary
Zenith
I've been wondering, is there a good reason behind the "Ignore" feature on this site?

I'm a little confused, because I think violations of rules such as insults, other kinds of harassment, and being blatantly rude should not warrant a mass number of people ignoring the offender. Rather, it should lead to the offensive posts being deleted, and the offender being sent a warning or another kind of reminder that his/her apparent behavior is unacceptable.

In regards for an apparent need for one member to ignore another, that's one of only two scenarios I can think of right now.

Another one is that one member may disagree with another member, and that scenario may seem to make more sense, but that leads to another issue. Members don't get notifications when they get ignored by other members, so that would prompt the member doing the ignoring to somehow communicate otherwise with the ignored that they've been ignored by that other member.

I personally think that the "Ignore" feature should be eliminated, as when two or more members disagree, they should face that fact without having for one to mute out the other(s). It's up to one member to say something like "Let's agree to disagree", so that there's a mutual understanding between two or more members.

I think that fears of disagreement in opinion should be confronted and backed with reason behind opposing views, and not be avoided.

Physics vs Jaden

Amazing Person
Zenith
I don;t think the ignore button should be COMPLETELY deleted, rather just make it so that you have to apply to get an ignore on someone. Ex. Say someone is verbally abusing you. You can send an ignore, where all administrators get a notification immediately the next time they look at the site. They look at the reason the person wants to ignore someone, look at the post. Then decide if yes or no. If yes, just say something like "Ok, we have seen the evidence, you can ignore" but if they don't think it's enough evidence you can decline but you HAVE to give a reason why you declined it.

Classicalfan626

Visionary
Zenith
I don;t think the ignore button should be COMPLETELY deleted, rather just make it so that you have to apply to get an ignore on someone. Ex. Say someone is verbally abusing you. You can send an ignore, where all administrators get a notification immediately the next time they look at the site. They look at the reason the person wants to ignore someone, look at the post. Then decide if yes or no. If yes, just say something like "Ok, we have seen the evidence, you can ignore" but if they don't think it's enough evidence you can decline but you HAVE to give a reason why you declined it.
That seems like a pretty good idea. I haven't thought of it myself. However, there is a problem that arises from this: verbally abusing someone is, if not, ought to be, a violation of rules here at Paranormalis, and that should warrant the verbally abusive post(s) being deleted, and the abuser being issued a warning and being told not to be verbally abusive, or else his/her activities get suspended or banned for a certain period of time.

You're definitely thinking on the right track, though.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
I've been wondering, is there a good reason behind the "Ignore" feature on this site?

I'm a little confused, because I think violations of rules such as insults, other kinds of harassment, and being blatantly rude should not warrant a mass number of people ignoring the offender. Rather, it should lead to the offensive posts being deleted, and the offender being sent a warning or another kind of reminder that his/her apparent behavior is unacceptable.

People are given a chance to behave, but others may want nothing to do with them anymore. It's not so much a problem here. On other sites, I was TOLD to put people on ignore because I was "too sensitive" to their bullying. Bullies are under control here, though, so ignore is just there just in case you find someone irritating. hehe

Physics vs Jaden

Amazing Person
Zenith
That seems like a pretty good idea. I haven't thought of it myself. However, there is a problem that arises from this: verbally abusing someone is, if not, ought to be, a violation of rules here at Paranormalis, and that should warrant the verbally abusive post(s) being deleted, and the abuser being issued a warning and being told not to be verbally abusive, or else his/her activities get suspended or banned for a certain period of time.

You're definitely thinking on the right track, though.
Lol, dw about the example, I just did any old example, for my demonstration. For all I care, I could've done someone threatening to bomb you lol

Poison Pen

I just ignore the poster without using any button as using the ignore button is childish. It is just as easy to move on and realize...why bother, it isn't worth it.

Would agree to a point Dog but some here are like a pit bull they don't know when to let go.......

Num7

Administrator
Staff

In regards for an apparent need for one member to ignore another, that's one of only two scenarios I can think of right now.

Another one is that one member may disagree with another member, and that scenario may seem to make more sense, but that leads to another issue. Members don't get notifications when they get ignored by other members, so that would prompt the member doing the ignoring to somehow communicate otherwise with the ignored that they've been ignored by that other member.

I personally think that the "Ignore" feature should be eliminated, as when two or more members disagree, they should face that fact without having for one to mute out the other(s). It's up to one member to say something like "Let's agree to disagree", so that there's a mutual understanding between two or more members.

I think that fears of disagreement in opinion should be confronted and backed with reason behind opposing views, and not be avoided.
Who said the ignore feature is there to ignore people who post messages that are in violation of the forum rules? Posts that violate the rules are reported by fellow members so that I can moderate them, right? We never ignored these posts, we moderate them. (And most of the time, we delete them, BTW)

The ignore button is meant to ignore another member, making it so that you no longer see their posts for some personal ( and usually harmless) reason.

I don't think the ignore feature is used very much nowadays, as we very rarely have conflicts or dramas around here anymore. But, sometimes, although that one particular member isn't rude or anything, he or she might just annoy you a bit for some reason you have no control on. You can put that person on ignore and not see their posts anymore. That's the best example I can think of right now. Some people want to do that and they're free to.

Again, all posts that are in violation of the forum rules are being deleted and the poster warned, as expected. Being rude, insulting other people, putting them down, etc, is not something we accept here. If such posts appear on the forum, report them as soon as you see them and I'll handle it from there. That job is taken care of by the forum moderators. That's not the point of the ignore feature.

Just take a look at the forum rules, they are clear on that point and will confirm what you think:
Forum Rules (May 2015)

However, there is a problem that arises from this: verbally abusing someone is, if not, ought to be, a violation of rules here at Paranormalis, and that should warrant the verbally abusive post(s) being deleted, and the abuser being issued a warning and being told not to be verbally abusive, or else his/her activities get suspended or banned for a certain period of time.
As you can see in the forum rules, verbally abusing someone is prohibited and it always was. I assumed everyone on the forum knew that, because is a huge building block of our community, if I can say it that way.

Hope that'll answer your questions. :)

TimeFlipper

Another point here is that if you put a member on ignore... you can log out and still read the forums, then you can see what that person you ignored has been saying...the ignore function does seem a bit silly, taking this into account lol :D