Real Photos of Black Holes

Ayasano

Since no one here listens to the voice of reason. Perhaps someone with a better understanding of Black Holes than anyone else on the planet might have some credibility.

Stephen Hawking Says No Black Holes Exist

That article is misrepresenting a partial quote to mean something it doesn't.

Some Scientists Not Convinced by Stephen Hawking's New Black Hole Proposal

A longer quote is as follows:
"The absence of event horizons mean that there are no black holes - in the sense of regimes from which light can't escape to innity. There are however apparent horizons which persist for a period of time. This suggests that black holes should be redefined as metastable bound states of the gravitational field."

So rather than saying black holes don't exist at all, he's saying they need to be redefined.

Incidentally, here's a very simple explanation of how we know black holes (Or something similar that fits the observations) exist.

HubbleSite - Reference Desk - FAQs

Specifically:

"In 1994, Hubble Space Telescope data measured the mass of an unseen object at the center of M87. Based on the motion of the material whirling about the center, the object is estimated to be about 3 billion times the mass of our Sun and appears to be concentrated into a space smaller than our solar system."

What alternate theory would you propose that explains those observations? Specifically something with an extremely large mass taking up an extremely small amount of space?

Harte

What alternate theory would you propose that explains those observations? Specifically something with an extremely large mass taking up an extremely small amount of space?
Well, perhaps it's one of those obese Americans situated at the galactic center.

Harte

Ayasano

Well, perhaps it's one of those obese Americans situated at the galactic center.

Harte
It could also be the physical manifestation of the egos of certain members here.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer

This could be your new Avatar!
Since no one here listens to the voice of reason. Perhaps someone with a better understanding of Black Holes than anyone else on the planet might have some credibility.

Stephen Hawking Says No Black Holes Exist

That article is misrepresenting a partial quote to mean something it doesn't.

Some Scientists Not Convinced by Stephen Hawking's New Black Hole Proposal

A longer quote is as follows:
"The absence of event horizons mean that there are no black holes - in the sense of regimes from which light can't escape to innity. There are however apparent horizons which persist for a period of time. This suggests that black holes should be redefined as metastable bound states of the gravitational field."

So rather than saying black holes don't exist at all, he's saying they need to be redefined.

Incidentally, here's a very simple explanation of how we know black holes (Or something similar that fits the observations) exist.

HubbleSite - Reference Desk - FAQs

Specifically:

"In 1994, Hubble Space Telescope data measured the mass of an unseen object at the center of M87. Based on the motion of the material whirling about the center, the object is estimated to be about 3 billion times the mass of our Sun and appears to be concentrated into a space smaller than our solar system."

I think anything without an event horizon could be described as everything else we do see.

An interesting property of galaxy rotation is that a galaxy rotates about itself as if it were a solid object. And we do know that solid objects don't really need a material center to rotate about its center. So just by using those facts I could infer that anything moving rapidly close to a galactic center might be doing so around a center devoid of any matter at all. It does seem to me that the space-time in a galactic center could be looked at as if it were inside out. So backwards behavior might be something to consider.

Ayasano

I think anything without an event horizon could be described as everything else we do see.

An interesting property of galaxy rotation is that a galaxy rotates about itself as if it were a solid object. And we do know that solid objects don't really need a material center to rotate about its center. So just by using those facts I could infer that anything moving rapidly close to a galactic center might be doing so around a center devoid of any matter at all. It does seem to me that the space-time in a galactic center could be looked at as if it were inside out. So backwards behavior might be something to consider.

Ah, so you don't dispute the presence of a supermassive object, just the nature of the object?

The problem with your theory of an empty centre is that it doesn't match up with the observations. For example, what about the gravitational lensing observed when a free-moving black hole moves across the sky? There's no apparent matter rotating around that object, just the black hole itself occupying a very small volume, invisible but for the effect it has on the stars around it. If the mass were more spread out, the lensing effect would be different.

Lone Black Hole Passes in Front of Star (Hubble View) | ESA/Hubble

_603423_hubb300.jpg

Note the same star appearing twice due to the lensing effect from the black hole.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer

Ah, so you don't dispute the presence of a supermassive object, just the nature of the object?

The problem with your theory of an empty centre is that it doesn't match up with the observations. For example, what about the gravitational lensing observed when a free-moving black hole moves across the sky? There's no apparent matter rotating around that object, just the black hole itself occupying a very small volume, invisible but for the effect it has on the stars around it. If the mass were more spread out, the lensing effect would be different.

_603423_hubb300.jpg

Note the same star appearing twice due to the lensing effect from the black hole.

The lensing phenomena can be attributed to the presence of plasma or gas clouds. Something that could be demonstrated in a laboratory setting. But then that would be a fact based observation. I do believe I started a thread on this sometime ago.

Does Gravity Really Bend Light? | Paranormalis

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith

_603423_hubb300.jpg

The lensing phenomena can be attributed to the presence of plasma or gas clouds. Something that could be demonstrated in a laboratory setting. But then that would be a fact based observation. I do believe I started a thread on this sometime ago.

Does Gravity Really Bend Light? | Paranormalis

I also brought up plasma on TTI and started a HUGE fight. LMAO. Memories.