Recent hoaxes

JustMe

Should there be a button on a thread were people can mark it as a possible hoax. Then when enough people have voted that it is not factual the thread is marked as a hoax and the OP is suspended?

Not sure exactly how it would work, but it would cut down on the number of hoax posts that keep going on and on with complete nonsense.

Would a genuine time traveller post on a forum full of idiots posting nonsense? I doubt it! Surely we should make sure that the forum is not full of stupid hoax posts, like the ones by @mullac998 that are currently going on.

Thoughts?

Num7

Administrator
Staff
What we can do, is add a poll to the first post, asking if it's a hoax. I think that would work pretty good. I added one to this discussion so that we can try it out.

In light of the results, an action can be taken accordingly to what we agree to. Label the thread as a hoax, or close it, or potentially kick out the hoaxer if he doesn't give up, etc.

That's a good idea! Let's see what others think.

P.S. Moved this thread to the Feedback section.

Last edited:

JustMe

I think it would work well. Maybe trial it on a few threads and see how it goes? Then come up with rules for when it shuts a thread down etc.

TimeFlipper

What we can do, is add a poll to the first post, asking if it's a hoax. I think that would work pretty good. I added one to this discussion so that we can try it out.

In light of the results, an action can be taken accordingly to what we agree to. Label the thread as a hoax, or close it, or potentially kick out the hoaxer if he doesn't give up, etc.

That's a good idea! Let's see what others think.

P.S. Moved this thread to the Feedback section.
What percentage of Hoaxes compared to Real must be achieved before closing down the thread and putting it onto a Hoax??, and what about Moderators or Admin relying on the Hoax or Real coming from only the members, without any intervention??.

By doing that it would remove the normal type of "unfriendly" responses occurring that myself and other members have made to the OP..

Last edited:

JustMe

We could make it so you have to have made like 50+ posts before you can vote. That way the OP can't vote and it is harder for them to get fake accounts to help them.

Also block the OP from voting anyway as they will never call themselves a hoaxer.

JustMe

You could even show the current "Hoax likelihood percentage" on the forum overview, so you can see if people think something is a hoax before you open it. Maybe with a percentage and a number of votes.

Then people won't waste time responding to the hoaxers and they will lose interest