Robert Schoch on JRE (Egypt- Sphinx Paw Chamber & Dating Correction)

Witch Hunt

Schoch's date is entirely based on subsurface weathering, detected with sound waves created by manually banging on a steel plate on the ground.
This weathering is caused by exposure to air, not water. Even covering the bed with all that sand for centuries has no effect on the weathering he was measuring.
Schoch found a difference in the depth of this weathering between the front of the sphinx and the rear. According to his data, the weathering in the back did not extend as deep as that in the front. From this he hypothesized that the front of the sphinx was older, and that Khafre had the rear finished off in the Old Kingdom. Assuming that the weathering progresses at the same rate in the front as it does in the back leads to his estimated age of the sphinx, counting backwards from his assumed Khafre sphinx completion. You can find all this information in his original paper on it.

What Schoch doesn't mention in that paper is that:
1. The limestone bed the sphinx is carved out of varies greatly between layers, and so the progress of weathering will likewise advance at different rates in the sphinx enclosure floor. On top of that, variations in hardness of the levels will affect the reflected sound waves he was reading. These variations would make little difference if the bed of limestone was parallel to the floor of the enclosure. However, the bed is actually tilted with respect to the level floor. Side to side AND front to back. The different layers within the bed do not lie at the same depths everywhere in the enclosure. Schoch does not even address this easily verified fact in his paper.

2. Schoch doesn't include his data in his original paper, but I was able to locate it years ago. The link is dead now (it was at Schoch's website) but it showed two things that went unmentioned by Schoch:
A) Schoch had only one, single reading from the rear of the sphinx.
B) Schoch's method of dating would show that the sides of the sphinx are actually older than the front (which he claimed was the oldest part.)
View attachment 9017View attachment 9018View attachment 9019

Harte

Could you post or send me the study that you got that info from, I would like to print it out and put it in my library as a kind of caveat to the books I have on the subject. Thanks.

Harte

I linked the paper, and told you Schoch's link to his data is dead. You might find the data somewhere else, but if you read Schoch's paper, you'll get a more detailed retelling of what I already told you.
Except for that data.

Harte
Edit: Found it easily enough. Makes me wonder if I'm the only one that is actually curious about it.
Redating the Sphinx: A Prehistoric Sphinx?

H.