Self Driving Uber Car Kills Woman

HDRKID

It was just a matter of time until an autonomous vehicle struck and killed a pedestrian, but here we are. I have my doubts about computer controlled devices being allowed to roam. Here we have the first robot car... kill a person. The result is that this event could set this technology back many years. I believe that all computer programmers should be licensed and their code put through a formal review. Also, the code should be open source. Let us hope that the Uber programmers can debug their code and catch most of the programming errors.

Uber's Self-Driving Car Just Killed Somebody. Now What?

An Uber robot car kills a pedestrian in Arizona. Will it slow driverless tests?

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I have no sympathy for the pedestrian at all. Suicide is suicide. There isn't a way to get a moving vehicle to stop in 3 feet from 40 mph. It's not possible.

Iochd

confido esse meruit
If this story is in fact true, then this 49 year old lady whom was possibly homeless, was apparently walking her bicycle albeit outside of a cross walk in Tempe Arizona, when she was hit and killed – no mention of suicide.
Your comments of “I have no sympathy for the pedestrian at all, suicide is suicide” is despicable. I have lost friends and family members to many causes including those reaching a point in their lives where they felt they could not continue. The loss of any life warrants compassion and anyone who fails to demonstrate this basic human function is wholly deficient.

Classicalfan626

Visionary
Zenith
@Iochd - Take it easy. Einstein is merely stating his opinion. Who knows what actually happened? (rhetorical question)

And besides, even if it wasn't suicide, it may be that the pedestrian was careless, and therefore Einstein has no sympathy.

Now, can we please get back on topic?

Iochd

confido esse meruit
It was his opinion which I was critiquing and your support/conjecture that he would show no sympathy in the event that death resulted from carelessness in itself leaves much to be desired
Best if neither of you comment further on this

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
It was his opinion which I was critiquing and your support/conjecture that he would show no sympathy in the event that death resulted from carelessness in itself leaves much to be desired
Best if neither of you comment further on this

I would appreciate it if you would refrain from calling me names. That is just plain trolling and is not allowed.

Mayhem

Zenith
At higher speeds this may happen again, even though there was a support human driver in the car.
( maybe the report i read was wrong about the support driver)

Could the human not have intervened ?

Wondering how good these sensors are to view something in the path of the car? , and if a company goes on the cheap and the components in the future are skimped on.
Time will tell, sure as these things get rolled out their will be further incidents lets hope no one loses their life.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Am I wrong in thinking that having autonomous autos being driven by a HAL 2000 wannabe...is a seriously bad idea?

:rolleyes:

I think it's a great idea. The HAL 2000 will strike fear into the hearts of all pedestrians nationwide. Killer autos are now on the loose!

HDRKID

This sounds like the plot of a cheesy low budget science fiction movie. Yeah, one that is long on fiction and short on science. I still remember teachers telling me that computers are morons. OK, so that means we can never allow them to drive cars. Well, here we are.

Attachments

• hdrkid_playing44.gif
    hdrkid_playing44.gif
    35.2 KB · Views: 2