She says her name is Mary

DoorMatt

there's a spirit or something similar in my parent's house. I still live with them, and my older brother, my mother and I have all seen her. She's average height but a bit hunched over and always wearing a black dress. I've never seen her very clearly, she avoids areas of direct light, but she has physically interacted a few times. I dozed off once while babysitting my younger brother, trying to get him back to sleep and when I woke up she was sitting beside me, holding my hand. It was really strange but I didn't really react at all, I just felt calm. She just got up and walked away when she noticed I was awake, disappearing into the darkest corner of the room. Another time I was running on a treadmill we have in the basement. There's a rocking chair to the left of it that can only barely be seen out of the corner of your eye when you're on the treadmill and I saw something get up from it. Again I didn't really feel panicked or like anything was wrong as she walked towards me and put a hand on my shoulder before disappearing. My mother thinks she's my grandmother who passed away when I was 6, she's only seen her for a second as she moves around the house. I've tried communicating with her 3 times and she's told me her name is Mary, which is not my grandmother's name, that she's around 40, and that she isn't angry. I looked into the history of our house, it's not incredibly old and there have been no deaths here. I'm not sure who or what she is but she's friendly enough and I've come to enjoy having her around.

Kairos

If you see her again, just ask her "In the name of God, can I help you?"

It's possible that she doesn't know she is dead. A human spirit might not be bothered by invoking God. If it gets mean when you say that, you are in a different situation.

Kairos

There's not been a noticeable pattern as to when she shows up, but she shows up the most in and around the master bedroom or in the basement.

I was asking about the time she shows up not where..

Does she move things? If so, how heavy?

To understand what "she" is you need to ascertain some basic patterns of behavior.

But if you see her, just ask her that simple question.

DoorMatt

I was asking about the time she shows up not where..

Does she move things? If so, how heavy?

To understand what "she" is you need to ascertain some basic patterns of behavior.

But if you see her, just ask her that simple question.
She hasn't moved anything before, the only real pattern in behavior I've noticed is that she shows up more often when someone's upset. I'll try asking her the next time I see her