Shriners, St. Jude, and the SPCA

taykair

I'm going to be tagged as a heartless bastard for this, but since I've been called practically everything else in my lifetime, I suppose I can live with it.

Let me set the scene:

You come in after a hard day at work. You grab your preferred libation. You flip on the tube, and settle down in your comfy chair to watch one of your favorite comedy shows. Your daily dose of crap that the world has forced-fed you since early that morning is now over, and now you can forget about all that and just enjoy yourself for awhile. You're laughing at the same punch-line that you've probably laughed at a dozen times before (it's a repeat), but you can't help it - it's just too damned funny. Life is good. The world - and its troubles - is far, far away.

And there you are, in mid-laugh, and the screen fades to black. And then it starts:

"One in four of these cancer-ridden children will not survive the year."

"We found these poor, abused animals chained and exposed to the elements."

"Look at these children - born without limbs, without help, without hope."

And the world comes crashing back.

"Aw, hell," you think, "and I was just starting to feel that life wasn't just a big, fat turd sandwich. And now this. All I wanted to do was have a beer, laugh a little bit, and forget that the world outside my door sucks like a Hoover vacuum. Crap."

I feel for you, buddy. I do. Of all the TV dramas and reality shows out there, why do these folks have to advertise their depressing (but necessary - I'm not disputing that) charities right in the middle of comedy shows?

One of the reasons I watch comedies is so that I can forget about all the heartbreak which the world delivers on a daily basis. Hell, if I wanted to be depressed, then I'd just spend all day watching the news - or visiting some of my relatives.

Is there anyone out there who agrees with me, or am I truly just a heartless bastard? (Not that those two things are necessarily mutually exclusive.) Do such tactics spur you to give - or to react as negatively as I do?

Take care.

taykair

I won't be able to know the answer as to whether or not I'm a heartless bastard for awhile, because it's time for another of my "internet vacations".

See you folks in a couple of months - or millennia. Whatever.

Take care.

Cirrus

I'm going to be tagged as a heartless bastard for this, but since I've been called practically everything else in my lifetime, I suppose I can live with it.

Let me set the scene:

You come in after a hard day at work. You grab your preferred libation. You flip on the tube, and settle down in your comfy chair to watch one of your favorite comedy shows. Your daily dose of crap that the world has forced-fed you since early that morning is now over, and now you can forget about all that and just enjoy yourself for awhile. You're laughing at the same punch-line that you've probably laughed at a dozen times before (it's a repeat), but you can't help it - it's just too damned funny. Life is good. The world - and its troubles - is far, far away.

And there you are, in mid-laugh, and the screen fades to black. And then it starts:

"One in four of these cancer-ridden children will not survive the year."

"We found these poor, abused animals chained and exposed to the elements."

"Look at these children - born without limbs, without help, without hope."

And the world comes crashing back.

"Aw, hell," you think, "and I was just starting to feel that life wasn't just a big, fat turd sandwich. And now this. All I wanted to do was have a beer, laugh a little bit, and forget that the world outside my door sucks like a Hoover vacuum. Crap."

I feel for you, buddy. I do. Of all the TV dramas and reality shows out there, why do these folks have to advertise their depressing (but necessary - I'm not disputing that) charities right in the middle of comedy shows?

One of the reasons I watch comedies is so that I can forget about all the heartbreak which the world delivers on a daily basis. Hell, if I wanted to be depressed, then I'd just spend all day watching the news - or visiting some of my relatives.

Is there anyone out there who agrees with me, or am I truly just a heartless bastard? (Not that those two things are necessarily mutually exclusive.) Do such tactics spur you to give - or to react as negatively as I do?

Take care.

I find that sitcoms are juxtaposed more with class-action lawsuits than helpless children and dogs. At least lawsuits are funny.

taykair

I find that sitcoms are juxtaposed more with class-action lawsuits than helpless children and dogs. At least lawsuits are funny.

Anyone want to join me in a class-action suit against class-action lawsuit attorneys? We could claim damages to the effect that they have been responsible for increases in the cost of medical care, insurance premiums, costly regulations, and so on.

I've no idea who we could get to represent us, though. Damn.

Cirrus

Anyone want to join me in a class-action suit against class-action lawsuit attorneys? We could claim damages to the effect that they have been responsible for increases in the cost of medical care, insurance premiums, costly regulations, and so on.

I've no idea who we could get to represent us, though. Damn.

Um *cough*, me?

And now everybody hates me :p.
This post inclusive of all commentary associated with it or thereby does not create nor was it intended to create an attorney-client relationship.
Now everybody really hates me.