Sixty Days To Beat Ebola, United Nations Warns

Num7

Administrator
Staff
The UN says the ebola outbreak must be controlled within 60 days or else the world faces an "unprecedented" situation for which there is no plan.

The United Nations made the stark warning as it warned that the disease "is running faster than us and it is winning the race".

Nearly 9,000 cases of ebola have been reported so far in West Africa, including 4,447 deaths.

"The WHO advises within 60 days we must ensure 70% of infected people are in a care facility and 70% of burials are done without causing further infection," said Anthony Banbury, the UN's deputy ebola coordinator. "We need to do that within 60 days from 1 October. If we reach these targets then we can turn this epidemic around."

But Mr Banbury told the UN Security Council the 70% target was becoming harder to meet as new infections stack up. He urged: "We either stop ebola now or we face an entirely unprecedented situation for which we do not have a plan." The UN's Unmeer emergency mission is following a four-pronged plan to fight ebola.

Identify and trace contacts; manage cases; ensure safe burials and provide people with information to protect themselves. "If we fail at any of these, we fail entirely," warned Mr Banbury.

Read more:
Sixty Days To Beat Ebola, United Nations Warns

Samstwitch

October 14, 2014: WHO (World Health Organization) assistant director general Bruce Aylward told a press conference in Geneva that the total of people infected with Ebola was expected to top 9,000 by the end of this week. When asked how the situation would emerge over the next couple of months, he said: "It's impossible to look into a glass ball and say we're going to have this many or that many (cases) but we anticipate the number of cases occurring per week by that time to be somewhere between 5,000 and 10,000 per week. It could be higher, it could be lower, but somewhere in that ball park."

It has been reported numerous times in the news that the rate of people being infected by Ebola is doubling every 2 weeks.

Last edited:

label

I happen to live on the continent but is far from the "red zone" for now. It is only a matter of time before we have a problem and that is scary. I am afraid of this make to mistake. Yes we have been lucky to this point and I hope that this will continue to be the case.

I only hope we remain safe. This IS scary stuff. :_(

PoisonApple

Badass ☆。*♡✧*。
Zenith
2nr0izd.jpg
[/IMG]
But according to the CDC, "Ebola poses no significant risk to America"... :rolleyes:

Harte

The UN says the ebola outbreak must be controlled within 60 days or else the world faces an "unprecedented" situation for which there is no plan.

Hmmm.

Now that's exceedingly odd, since there appears to have been no plan from the get-go anyway.

Harte

label

Whatever the plan is I hope it will keep people safe. I know for some it is a joke and for others a sign but for me it is scary to think that I can lose my whole family in one go just because someone figured it is safer not to seek treatment. Even more so knowing it people are fleeing.

It is a horrible way to go...