Small wireless phone in Dublin 1981-2?

Old_loser

Does anybody know if any companies manufactured small candybar-type cellphones before 1982? Someone I know and trust said they met a man in Dublin that owned one. My friend was allowed to make a call to the United States in 1982 using it.

Mayhem

Zenith
Interesting:)
I will try and find out, myself being born in Dublin with plenty of family back there.

Plenty of people connected with business there with $$$

ZeoEmeraude

I would say that if it was possible...the tech was experimental at best. Cellular phones were cumbersome beasts back then. Motorola sold one for like 799.00 through companies like Radio Shack....and that was on sale. They were not for the everyday person to own. You have to understand that Atari and companies like Nintendo were just busting loose on the tech scene. So to hear of someone using a candy bar-type phone back then would be next to impossible......unless it was some black CIA tech. There were very few if any cell towers around...which caused the blasted things to constantly be in a roaming state. Those roaming charges killed you when you got a bill.

ConvergancePoint

The car type bag phones had been around since the what, the early to mid 70's, maybe sooner? So it does stand to a tiny but if reason that maybe, MAYBE somewhere along that time the governments were experimenting with miniaturized handsets? Not saying they did, but y'all have to admit, starting in the late sixties to the early 2000's tech just blew up. I'd say due the invent of micro sized chips and new semi conductor tech.

However, with all the shady and downright strange shtuff the US government was up to around and slightly before then.....who is to say 100% for sure....would be nice to believe that Titor brought a phone back for a family member ; p (LOL)

Mayhem

Zenith
Sorry for the delay.

There was two in the vicinity at the time or near depending on the divergence of lines.

Thats all i will say.