Smithsonian Cover Up of Giant Humans

Dalet

This door is now closed.
@Kairos - I have to side with Harte on this one. Goliath was tall for his time, but certainly not beanstalk-worthy. Somewhere between 6'5" and 7" - depending on the cubit.

Kairos

@Kairos - I have to side with Harte on this one. Goliath was tall for his time, but certainly not beanstalk-worthy. Somewhere between 6'5" and 7" - depending on the cubit.

We arguing two different things. He is arguing about some actual guy the text is writing about. I am not. I am arguing about the context and religious tradition of the text, in which the people in Gazan had Nephilim blood in them. He was a giant because he really was partly inhuman in the context of the texts.

Dalet

This door is now closed.
We arguing two different things. He is arguing about some actual guy the text is writing about. I am not. I am arguing about the context and religious tradition of the text, in which the people in Gazan had Nephilim blood in them. He was a giant because he really was partly inhuman in the context of the texts.

Could you share the text in question, please? Or provide a link? I'd like to see the connection between the people of Gath and the Nephilim.

Kairos

Could you share the text in question, please? Or provide a link? I'd like to see the connection between the people of Gath and the Nephilim.

You just have to read the first few books with a mind to what they say about the Nephilim. Just a brief Internet search for somebody else reading the same thing I did came up with a pretty good breakdown from some anonymous user on stack exchange:

In the beginning...
Genesis 6:4 (NIV)
The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of humans and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown.
The descendants of these children of Nephilim were the giants that show up later in the bible. When Moses sent the twelve spies into Canaan, the promised land (before the 40 years of wandering), they reported back of giants in the land:
Numbers 13:33
We saw the Nephilim there (the descendants of Anak come from the Nephilim). We seemed like grasshoppers in our own eyes, and we looked the same to them.”
There's another reference to them in 2 Samuel:
2 Samuel 21:20
In still another battle, which took place at Gath, there was a huge man with six fingers on each hand and six toes on each foot—twenty-four in all. He also was descended from Rapha.
Goliath, himself, was a Philistine. He was also known as the "Goliath of Gath". Gath was one of the five city-states of Philistine.
1 Samuel 17:23 (NIV)
As he was talking with them, Goliath, the Philistine champion from Gath, stepped out from his lines and shouted his usual defiance, and David heard it.
Because we know that Goliath was from Gath (from 1 Samuel) and that the giants in Gath were descendants of the Nephilim (from 2 Samuel) it's pretty safe to assume he was one of those.
It's also safe to assume some possible genetic issues (due to the six fingers and toes).

Kairos

I have some thoughts on the Nephilim, but I wouldn't present them as anything one could verify. Just a sense of how people made sense of certain things, and how that collective memory made it into the early bronze age to be written down by people like the Hebrews and Sumerians.

Harte

There is only one person described as a "giant" (the way we think of the word) in the Bible. That would be Goliath.

The term "giant" was used by the KJV because the Septuagint used the Greek term "Gigantes."
That word didn't mean "giant" in the way the KJV does.
n Greek and Roman Mythology, the Giants, also called Gigantes (jye-GAHN-tees or gee-GAHN-tees; Greek: Γίγαντες, Gígantes, singular: Γίγας, Gígas), were a race of great strength and aggression, though not necessarily of great size, known for the Gigantomachy (Gigantomachia), their battle with the Olympian gods.[2] According to Hesiod, the Giants were the offspring of Gaia (Earth), born from the blood that fell when Uranus (Sky) was castrated by his Titan son Cronus.[3]
Wiki

Ferocious tribes of tall human beings. That's how the Nephilim, Rephaim and the Anakim were described in Hebrew, and by other people living in the area.

Harte

Dalet

This door is now closed.
It should be noted that most of the spies that Moses sent allowed their own fears to color their report. However, one of the spies (Caleb) said, "Let us go up at once, and possess it; for we are well able to overcome it."