So who has stopped for a.....

Okabe

I help because it's the right thing to do.

soo...

does valuing everyone because they may be a precious commodity/resource for our society or community = The right thing to do ????

Seems like you're trying to find a way to interpret my answer to fit your original statement.

Whether or not someone is of value in a resource/commodity capacity plays no part in my daily life. I didn't help some random old lady at the supermarket load a bag of dog food into her car because I thought she might be a good source of ammo, and I didn't let the dude with 3 kids crawling all over him (who clearly needed to get in and out to save his sanity) cut in front of me at Chick-Fil-A because he might be good for a few MRE's after the bomb drops. I don't live that way.

If it's possible to help someone or do something nice and it's not going to negatively impact something or someone I already have an obligation to (like getting to work or being on time for an appointment), then yes, I help them. It's in my nature and I enjoy doing it.

lmao @ 'good source of ammo'. Sheesh~

No, I am thinking more of a 'who knows maybe that person somehow contributes to some novel invention or cures cancer or whatever' scenario. More that than how am I going to use them or whatever after a nuclear war.

You seem like a nice guy. I would stop for you if you were stranded. Who knows maybe that would in turn help you get to some job interview on time where you get the job and that leads to you doing something that benefits all of humanity~ You never know~

I am horrible at explaining why I like this stuff but I guess I like the idea of looking at everyone with the idea that, who knows, maybe they are someone that will do something truly great in their life and that they have value. Possibly curing cancer or perhaps just shoving the person who cures cancer out of the way of speeding car and saving their life. It just seems like a very positive, glass is half full, kind of way at looking at society.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Paula you had someone stop for you. Would you stop for someone assuming they didn't look like a crazy murderer?

It depends on many things:

1. My intuition
2. If my children are in my car
3. The situation

I've been a giving person all my life, which has been my downfall.

Titor's quote was about not relying on other people for survival. His parable is saying, "Make sure you have gas with you. Don't expect to get it from someone else." He was referring to the coming status quo change. I.E. Prepare now. Your government isn't going to bale you out.

:)

I've told my story before, but I will tell it again. I was 21 and living in Georgia. I was being an airhead and didn't pay attention to the gas in my car and it stalled. I started walking to a gas station when a uniformed soldier in a big, black SUV pulled up. I think it was Army (I don't remember if it was Army or Airforce there) and his tag said "Airborne". He didn't say much. He drove me to the gas station. Bought me a red tank and gas. He filled my car, started it, then he pulled out a compressor from the back of his SUV and filled my tires. Never saw him again, but I never once forgot it.

BUT this isn't what Titor was talking about...

Okabe

Damn..That's some good service. What an awesome guy, but no, not what John was talking about.

I got that part of the message too, but I also took away from it that the community minded way of thinking he described was indeed better than ours. I totally agree. I also like the message of ''carry your own water'' I think that's what he said. Self reliance is a wonderful skill. Imagine if everyone took care of their own stuff/problems and also helped take care of the people who needed it. Sounds pretty good imho.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Imagine if everyone took care of their own stuff/problems and also helped take care of the people who needed it. Sounds pretty good imho.

You just described a mother, although, you'd have to change it to "Take care of everyone else first and then yourself if there is time". :)

I'd have no problems surviving the change. Life will be suddenly about what it's supposed to be about. Surviving. Not money. Not drama. Not material things. Just food, shelter, safety, and family. No more, no less. Living more like the natives appeals to me, except I'd want to do it some place with cooler temperatures. :) :)

Okabe

well...if there is a post nuclear scenario where I have to rebuild society with a bunch of selfless hot soccer moms, I guess I will just have to make do~ lol

Is that the last time you ran out of gas Paula?

I haven't run out of gas in probably 20 years~

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
well...if there is a post nuclear scenario where I have to rebuild society with a bunch of selfless hot soccer moms, I guess I will just have to make do~ lol

Is that the last time you ran out of gas Paula?

I haven't run out of gas in probably 20 years~

My Empty light is on right now. LOL not kidding.