Stealing money in the future and returning it in the past.

Blue Wolf

#1 Wolf in Investigation
Let's imagine there is a scenario where someone has only $100. You steal all the money they have. You take the $100 from that person and return it to them in the past. You tell them that the $200 is to make up for what someone is about to steal. Now, you go forward in time and steal the $200. You return back and give them $200 and they have $400 stolen. The process repeats.

How would this make sense?

I do not believe in paradoxes.

Would it be a closed time-like curve?

Are you jumping between alternate universes?

What are your thoughts?

My personal belief is that causality wouldn't be violated.
The cause of the loop would be your urge to travel back.
The effect would be all of the events within the loop.

Seeing as how time is measured by cause and effect,
you would be travelling forward still as you go back. That is very strange. That would mean time travel exists in a way. Yet, it doesn't.

More like time displacement. :cool:

If actual time travel is impossible, you'd probably have to go to a different world-line.

TimeFlipper

The whole Universe operates from a continuous cause and effect, although i think the term was used to confine single specific instances..
Time how we use it, is measured into seconds minutes hours days weeks months etc etc, and we created that ourselves, but has nothing to do with Time per se.....Thats my thinking anyways :D

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Blue Wolf

No one has an answer yet to your scenario. But when I get my time machine up and running, I plan to get rich using a similar plan.

My plan is to buy an ounce of gold. Then place the gold on a table in a locked room. Then leave it there for a week. At which time I will take the ounce of gold and put it in a large basket in my time machine. Then go back in time one minute and take the gold off the table again. I repeat this process untill all the minutes in a week are used up. Around 10,000 ounces of gold. Then go back in time around 6 months and sell it all at the going rate. I estimate around 12 million dollars.

After all the gold was mine to begin with. So no crime was committed.

TimeFlipper

You forgot one thing my friend..when you go back in time you automatically enter an alternate dimension where changes can happen..
However you overlooked something...after you have deposited the gold in the alternative dimension, you can never go back to the same alternative dimension again, instead you get taken to alternative dimension number 2 in which your gold has never been deposited into..
Therefore you have lost all the money that you paid for the gold :eek: :D...

Blue Wolf

#1 Wolf in Investigation
You forgot one thing my friend..when you go back in time you automatically enter an alternate dimension where changes can happen..
However you overlooked something...after you have deposited the gold in the alternative dimension, you can never go back to the same alternative dimension again, instead you get taken to alternative dimension number 2 in which your gold has never been deposited into..
Wouldn't it be a world-line or a universe, not a dimension?

TimeFlipper

Alternative Universe and Alternative Dimension are the same thing, it depends on how other people want to express the term..

Einstein

Temporal Engineer

I don't know if my method would actually work or not. It's just an idea based on current beliefs.

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
Blue Wolf

No one has an answer yet to your scenario. But when I get my time machine up and running, I plan to get rich using a similar plan.

My plan is to buy an ounce of gold. Then place the gold on a table in a locked room. Then leave it there for a week. At which time I will take the ounce of gold and put it in a large basket in my time machine. Then go back in time one minute and take the gold off the table again. I repeat this process untill all the minutes in a week are used up. Around 10,000 ounces of gold. Then go back in time around 6 months and sell it all at the going rate. I estimate around 12 million dollars.

After all the gold was mine to begin with. So no crime was committed.

Einstein, you have an interesting concept.

I personally believe that it would work only if you build the right type of Time Machine.

A lot of the members here have no idea when it comes to Time Machines, all the different types of Time Machine’s. Everyone assumes that a Time Machine is a Time Machine and that is not a true statement in the real world we all live in.

One of the things that I would be concerned about is that your cloning the same piece of gold on the table. There is a possibility that you would be creating fools-gold. I would describe fools-gold as the following: Every time you clone the same piece of gold the following could easily happen. The first time you would have 100% gold piece, the second time you have something less than 100% gold, and the third time you have something less than 100% gold. Every time you cloned the first piece of gold you have what you started with 100% gold. The second time you clone the first piece of gold you might end up with only 50% of the atomic structure of gold in the two pieces of gold. And then the third time you clone the first piece of gold you might end up with only 33.3% of the atomic structure of gold in all three pieces of gold.. And each time you clone from the first piece of gold you would keep diminishing the atomic structure of gold. More than likely the gold would not pass a jeweler’s testing for 24 karat gold.

Professor Opmmur