Stereotypes and defying them

Monica Brannan

As many of you know, I edited my signature talking about negative Latino stereotypes, like we're lazy and stupid. I also acknowledge that there are stereotypes of every race, a lot of them negative. I know all about white stereotypes. My husband is Irish and at his work and past works when there has been an office party his colleagues have been surprised when he says he's teetotal, because of that 'drunken Irishmen' stereotype. My Mom is also a Swedish immigrant, Swedish stereotypes aren't the worst but she was an immigrant so she was judged a lot for that especially since this was the 1950s. My Colombian Dad has had some of the worst stereotyping ever. He's been racially abused almost the moment since he stepped onto American soil. He has been fired and demoted at his work, called a wetback (even though he's not Mexican) it's been awful. However he has defied the faces of racists by being hardworking and making a living for his family and making sure I got the best education possible so I could have the best start in life. So I was wondering if people could write what prejudice they have suffered and how they have overcome it.

Harte

Well, as a man, I guess I'm supposed to be stupid, aloof and bumbling, until my wife saves the day.

That's how it is on TV anyway.

Harte

Blue Wolf

#1 Wolf in Investigation
Well. I'm legally a minor. There's not really a question about it.
I must be stupid, ignorant, immature, and inferior like every 14 year old hooligan. :rolleyes: