Stop using the phrase 'time travel'. Use 'movement travel' instead.

NaturalPhilosopher

Technical definition of time is relative movement. Ticks of a second hand on a clock in relation to the sun moving across the sky. Car moving in relation to the buildings on the road it travels.

If true, then how does general relativity and special relativity actually cause changes in relative movement? Seems like relativity gave up on trying to figure it out.

HOW does something near a large sun or blackhole actually stop in it's tracks for billions of years?

Time travel is really 'Movement travel'.

This is real reason physicists don't think backwards 'movement travel' can happen. Only slowing of it so you see the world outside of the field speed up in relation to yourself.

Of course physicists proved that time slows on jet airplanes in relation to the ground however nobody explains why. Since they lack the 'why' then why couldn't we go back in movement(time)?

Time travel is the concept where our understanding of causality fails. Imagine if you were driving a car and suddenly it would stop for no reason or back up for no reason while you see the whole world around ya reverse their direction of movement. Would seem like magic.

So again, what can possibly cause things to stop? I mean gravity causes things to move towards each other, not stop moving entirely. So again I ask why?

side note: 'energy' isn't an answer.

Last edited:

NaturalPhilosopher

How though? I don't mean technically just basic prinicple theory.

Whole thing is predicated upon a completely new form of energy structure in matter/mass otherwise it doesn't work at all for backwards time travel.

TimeFlipper

Principle Theory has no meaning at all within time-travel...
It is about morals and a guide for all forms of behaviour for the individual and groups of people..
In the world of science it is a general or basic truth on which other truths or theories, can be based as scientific principles..

I agree with @Opmmur when he said, I still like the old fashioned words Time-Travel...and frankly i dont think it will ever be replaced, irrespective of how much you wish it to be..:)...
Your technical idea of time and ticks on a clock, is not the real definition of time per se...Our "time" is man made for obvious purposes, which we dont need to go through...

I always liked the movie, The Time Machine made in 1960..the machine itself does not move in time, the changing passage of time moves around the machine which is in a fixed position on earth...:D

Harte

"Movement travel" is redundant.
Because nobody has explained time dilation to you, that doesn't mean it hasn't been explained.
The gist is, our experience of time depends on the relative velocities (and accelerations) of the observer vas. the observed.

In other words, time is relative, fluid, and depends on the circumstances under which it is measured.

Your example of time at an event horizon, for example. Time doesn't stop for anyone or anything at an event horizon. Such a person or thing's time stops for us, as the observer, but flows on completely normally to the thing at the event horizon.

Harte

Harte

Why does time dilation happen?
Because there is an upper limit on the speed of light. This results in time slowing at high speeds, when measured by an outside observer.

Someone walking down the aisle of a train going 80% of the speed of light turns on a flashlight beam pointing down the aisle. This person measures the speed of that beam at the speed of light, of course.
Someone not on the train (with a very fast camera speed) records it through the window. That person, calculating the speed of the other guy's light ALSO calculates it at the speed of light.

Since the (extremely high) speed of the train is not added to the speed of the light beam, the explanation is both dilation of time AND constriction of length.

Harte

NaturalPhilosopher

same happens for sound in air.
Same speed measured.
Does that mean light is traveling in a medium like air?

Can make the lorentz contraction argument or a medium argument. Both work.

NaturalPhilosopher

yeah sound requires a medium. Makes ya go hmm. Of course if light can be a particle or wave then it wouldn't be needed if particulate. However if sound wave it would.

So what about the vacuum is causing the relationship of resistance to acceleration of objects or lorentz contraction of photons? Is there a connection? Doppler shift and time dilation of special relativity are both well documented.

Speed of light is just a relationship of EM to space.
Resistance to acceleration is a relationship of matter to space.

What is the causal factor?

How can a lack of something(vacuum) cause these relationships?

Last edited: