October 9, 2012 - MIAMI (AP) — The winner of a roach-eating contest in South Florida died shortly after downing dozens of the live bugs as well as worms, authorities said Monday.
About 30 contestants ate the insects during Friday night's contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach about 40 miles north of Miami. The grand prize was a python.
Edward Archbold, 32, of West Palm Beach became ill shortly after the contest ended and collapsed in front of the store, according to a Broward Sheriff's Office statement released Monday. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. Authorities were waiting for results of an autopsy to determine a cause of death.
"Unless the roaches were contaminated with some bacteria or other pathogens, I don't think that cockroaches would be unsafe to eat," said Michael Adams, professor of entomology at the University of California at Riverside, who added that he has never heard of someone dying after consuming roaches. "Some people do have allergies to roaches," he said, "but there are no toxins in roaches or related insects."
None of the other contestants became ill, the sheriff's office said.
There was no updated phone number listed for Archbold in West Palm Beach.
"We feel terribly awful," said store owner Ben Siegel, who added that Archbold did not appear to be sick before the contest. "He looked like he just wanted to show off and was very nice," Siegel said, adding that Archbold was "the life of the party."
Siegel said Archbold was selling the exotic prize to a friend who took him to the contest.
A statement from Siegel's attorney said all the participants signed waivers "accepting responsibility for their participation in this unique and unorthodox contest."
The bugs consumed were from an inventory of insects "that are safely and domestically raised in a controlled environment as food for reptiles."
Alabama teen shot in the head during 'prank that went terribly wrong'
An Alabama teen was shot in the head by a friend when a prank backfired, NBC station WLBT.com reported.
Jesse Rainey, 15, and seven other teenage boys, were spending the weekend without adult supervision at a rural home in Tuscumbia, AL.com reported.
Some of the teens decided to play a prank and flipped the electrical breaker to turn out the lights, AL.com reported. Colbert County Sheriff Ronnie May told AL.com that Rainey hid in a closet inside the home as part of the prank.
When one of his friends opened the closet door, Rainey jumped out to scare him. The rattled boy fired the .38-caliber handgun, shooting Rainey in the head, according to WAAYTV.com.
"This was a close group of young men who decided to play a prank," May told AL.com. "Right now, we're looking at this as an accidental shooting." No charges were filed.
Rainey, who is a 10th-grade student at Colbert County Heights High School, is in critical condition at Children's Hospital in Birmingham.
According to AL.com, investigators said no drugs or alcohol were involved but "several long guns and handguns" were brought to the home.
“We’ve found no indication that this was planned by anyone,” May told TimesDaily.com. “We believe this was a prank that went terribly wrong. We continue to pray for Jesse and his family. We hope he is able to return to his family soon.”
i can't say i blame the kid who shot rainey, why he was walking around with a hang gun when the power went out i dunno maybe there is more to it? like they were making it seem like a break in or something, But then again if the power goes out in my house for no reason i always have my .45 with me. But this will just be another win in the "guns are evil and kill people" groups out there.
Did anyone else see an episode of "Doomsday Preppers" where the stupid dad was teaching his kids how to shoot (yeah teaching them how to shoot people in case of a SHTF scenario)...anyway during the lesson he shot his thumb clean OFF!
My father was a gun collector with every kind of military weapon in the house, and 5 kids. He taught every one of us how to respect and handle firearms properly, and NEVER point a gun, real or play, at anybody. There were no accidents in our house. Too many gunowners today are stupid! Too many accidents with guns, including this past 2 weeks, 2 fathers who shot and killed their own sons. Sooo sad!