Surveillance Drone in the US!

kurisu

So I saw this on ATS and, I didn't plan to post it here until after I watched the video! I swear yesterday when I was out walking I saw something exactly like this. At first when I saw it I was a little weary of the fact that it was there since it looked like a military plane so why would be in texas? but, none the less believe me or not I did see one of these yesterday!

Samstwitch

Thanks for posting this. I never knew anthing about it before. This is disgusting! The USA is no longer the land of the free! The government has stolen our privacy and freedom. When the SHTF in America, there will be a Civil War between the people and the government.

Privacy concerns as US government rolls out domestic drone rules

May 14, 2012 - Unmanned drones could soon be buzzing in the skies above many U.S. cities, as the federal government green-lights the technology for local law enforcement amid widespread privacy concerns.

The Federal Aviation Administration on Monday began to explain the rules of the sky for these newly licensed drones at potentially dozens of sites across the country. The agency, on its website, said that government "entities" will have to obtain a special certificate in order to fly the aircraft, adding that the FAA is "streamlining the process for public agencies to safely fly (drones) in the nation's airspace."

In doing so, the government is taking a tool that has become synonymous with U.S. counterterror warfare in countries like Pakistan and Yemen -- and putting it in the hands of U.S. law enforcement.

Unlike some of the drones used overseas, these will not be equipped with missiles. They are to be used purely for surveillance. But that alone has raised serious privacy concerns on Capitol Hill and beyond.

"Our Founding Fathers had no idea that there would be remote-control drones with television monitors that can feed back live data instantaneously -- but if they had, they would have made darn sure ... that these things were subject to the Fourth Amendment (protecting individual privacy)," Rep. Joe Barton, R-Texas, told Fox News.

Drones have already been employed domestically. In what was described as the first case where an unmanned drone was used to arrest an American citizen on U.S. soil, a North Dakota SWAT team reportedly borrowed a Department of Homeland Security drone to monitor Rodney Brossart -- who was involved in a 16-hour standoff at his North Dakota farm over six cattle that had wandered onto his property and which he claimed as his own. The SWAT team apparently used the drone to make sure it was safe to arrest him, though his lawyer has since claimed Brossart was subjected to guerrilla-like police tactics and had his constitutional rights violated.

Advocates, though, say the drones are a force-multiplier for local cops.

"They're not going to be used for constant surveillance -- typically they can stay in the air for about 30 minutes, so they're only going to be used for specific missions," said Gretchen West, executive vice president of the Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International.
She said the drones would help law enforcement have "more eyes in the sky to help ... assist them when they're going into potentially volatile situations."

Lawmakers like Barton say there are "legitimate uses" for drones on U.S. soil, but that strict privacy standards will be needed.
"It would be okay for a drone to be used in order to make sure that all the cattle on a ranch are identified on an ongoing basis. It's okay ... to survey a forest to make sure there are no forest fires. But it would not be okay if that individual who purchased the drone then decided 'I think I'll go and check and see what's going on over in my neighbor's backyard'," Rep. Ed Markey, D-Mass., said. "That would be wrong and that has to be protected against."

Jay Stanley, a senior policy analyst with the American Civil Liberties Union, agreed.

"We don't want a situation where every time we walk out of our front door we have to look up and wonder whether some invisible eye in the sky is monitoring us, you know, constantly," he said. "There are good uses for drones that everybody agrees with, but what we don't' want to see are drones used for constant, persistent, suspicion-less surveillance where we are all being watched for no particular reason."

SEE FOX NEWS VIDEO HERE

kurisu

Thanks for posting this. I never knew anthing about it before. This is disgusting! The USA is no longer the land of the free! The government has stolen our privacy and freedom. When the SHTF in America, there will be a Civil War between the people and the government.

Privacy concerns as US government rolls out domestic drone rules

May 14, 2012 - Unmanned drones could soon be buzzing in the skies above many U.S. cities, as the federal government green-lights the technology for local law enforcement amid widespread privacy concerns.

The Federal Aviation Administration on Monday began to explain the rules of the sky for these newly licensed drones at potentially dozens of sites across the country. The agency, on its website, said that government "entities" will have to obtain a special certificate in order to fly the aircraft, adding that the FAA is "streamlining the process for public agencies to safely fly (drones) in the nation's airspace."

In doing so, the government is taking a tool that has become synonymous with U.S. counterterror warfare in countries like Pakistan and Yemen -- and putting it in the hands of U.S. law enforcement.

Unlike some of the drones used overseas, these will not be equipped with missiles. They are to be used purely for surveillance. But that alone has raised serious privacy concerns on Capitol Hill and beyond.

"Our Founding Fathers had no idea that there would be remote-control drones with television monitors that can feed back live data instantaneously -- but if they had, they would have made darn sure ... that these things were subject to the Fourth Amendment (protecting individual privacy)," Rep. Joe Barton, R-Texas, told Fox News.

Drones have already been employed domestically. In what was described as the first case where an unmanned drone was used to arrest an American citizen on U.S. soil, a North Dakota SWAT team reportedly borrowed a Department of Homeland Security drone to monitor Rodney Brossart -- who was involved in a 16-hour standoff at his North Dakota farm over six cattle that had wandered onto his property and which he claimed as his own. The SWAT team apparently used the drone to make sure it was safe to arrest him, though his lawyer has since claimed Brossart was subjected to guerrilla-like police tactics and had his constitutional rights violated.

Advocates, though, say the drones are a force-multiplier for local cops.

"They're not going to be used for constant surveillance -- typically they can stay in the air for about 30 minutes, so they're only going to be used for specific missions," said Gretchen West, executive vice president of the Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International.
She said the drones would help law enforcement have "more eyes in the sky to help ... assist them when they're going into potentially volatile situations."

Lawmakers like Barton say there are "legitimate uses" for drones on U.S. soil, but that strict privacy standards will be needed.
"It would be okay for a drone to be used in order to make sure that all the cattle on a ranch are identified on an ongoing basis. It's okay ... to survey a forest to make sure there are no forest fires. But it would not be okay if that individual who purchased the drone then decided 'I think I'll go and check and see what's going on over in my neighbor's backyard'," Rep. Ed Markey, D-Mass., said. "That would be wrong and that has to be protected against."

Jay Stanley, a senior policy analyst with the American Civil Liberties Union, agreed.

"We don't want a situation where every time we walk out of our front door we have to look up and wonder whether some invisible eye in the sky is monitoring us, you know, constantly," he said. "There are good uses for drones that everybody agrees with, but what we don't' want to see are drones used for constant, persistent, suspicion-less surveillance where we are all being watched for no particular reason."

SEE FOX NEWS VIDEO HERE

Thanks for posting even more information on this. We the people of the nation which was once great have a national duty to defend our constitutional right whether are enemies are foreign or domestic. The next step might as well be some form of LT-IDC ( Location Tracking Identification Chip ). I remember watching a shows where you couldn't even enter a building without a ID Bracelet which tracked everything from what you buy to whats going into your body. I assumed that was a cartoon but, now I wonder how much longer until something like that will occur.

Samstwitch

Thanks for posting even more information on this. We the people of the nation which was once great have a national duty to defend our constitutional right whether are enemies are foreign or domestic. The next step might as well be some form of LT-IDC ( Location Tracking Identification Chip ). I remember watching a shows where you couldn't even enter a building without a ID Bracelet which tracked everything from what you buy to whats going into your body. I assumed that was a cartoon but, now I wonder how much longer until something like that will occur.

Exactly! Bible Prophecy forewarns of a Mark (a computer chip) that all people will have to receive on their hand or forehead inorder to buy and sell. It's just around the corner.

According to the Fox News Video, the Feds say as of 2020 there could be 30,000 Drones flying over America. Americans better wake up! Our liberties and freedoms have been stolen by corrupt politicians and agents in the White House! :cautious: We do need a Civil War.

kurisu

Exactly! Bible Prophecy forewarns of a Mark (a computer chip) that all people will have to receive on their hand or forehead inorder to buy and sell. It's just around the corner.

According to the Fox News Video, the Feds say as of 2020 there could be 30,000 Drones flying over America. Americans better wake up! Our liberties and freedoms have been stolen by corrupt politicians and agents in the White House! :cautious: We do need a Civil War.

Sorry theres no way in hell I would ever let that happen. If something like that did I would gladly start a resistance or coup against the united states but, I know if ANYONE did that they would be labeled as a evil terrorist who wants to kill everyone.

At the moment I have to thought the first being at this point is it really worth attempting to go through the legal system in order to fix the corruption from the inside or is that path of blood the only path that truly remains with hope. The second is my worry not that a civil war will come but, rather that it won't come and, that people will simply allow this to continue.

What hope is there truly left for our once great nation?

Samstwitch

The second is my worry not that a civil war will come but, rather that it won't come and, that people will simply allow this to continue.

What hope is there truly left for our once great nation?

That is my worry as well. The only hope for our country is through God and Jesus Christ. That is why they forewarned us of what is coming.

kurisu

That is my worry as well. The only hope for our country is through God and Jesus Christ. That is why they forewarned us of what is coming.

I always understand God is there watching and, loving however I can't understand the people who will say "God has a plan we don't need to do anything" In my opinion part of Gods plan is us being human making the right choose and, taking our rights into our own hands.

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
Gallery: The Complete UAV Field Guide to Drones (30 pictures and information)

With hundreds of different species, from spy craft to airborne sheepherders, UAVs have in the past decade morphed into a full-blown kingdom of creatures deserving of its own taxonomy. Here is our complete guide.

Launch the gallery here: Gallery: The Complete UAV Field Guide | Popular Science

Today 44 countries fly UAVs, according to P.W. Singer, a fellow at the public-policy think tank the Brookings Institution and author of Wired for War. Last year, the U.S. Air Force trained more UAV pilots than fighter and bomber pilots combined. “Every so often in history, there’s a tech that comes along that rewrites the rules of the game,” Singer says. “I describe this as a revolution.”

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
Gallery: The Complete UAV Field Guide to Drones (30 pictures and information)

With hundreds of different species, from spy craft to airborne sheepherders, UAVs have in the past decade morphed into a full-blown kingdom of creatures deserving of its own taxonomy. Here is our complete guide.

Launch the gallery here: Gallery: The Complete UAV Field Guide | Popular Science

Today 44 countries fly UAVs, according to P.W. Singer, a fellow at the public-policy think tank the Brookings Institution and author of Wired for War. Last year, the U.S. Air Force trained more UAV pilots than fighter and bomber pilots combined. “Every so often in history, there’s a tech that comes along that rewrites the rules of the game,” Singer says. “I describe this as a revolution.”

Samstwitch

I always understand God is there watching and, loving however I can't understand the people who will say "God has a plan we don't need to do anything" In my opinion part of Gods plan is us being human making the right choose and, taking our rights into our own hands.

Kurisu, Yes, I totally agree! God also helps those who help themselves. That's not Scripture, but it's a true saying.

Professor Opmmur, thanks for posting more information on this subject. I have to sign-off now to run errands, but I will check it out later when I return.