Syrian Official Warns Against U.S. Action

Samstwitch

This is serious, folks! Both Putin and Syrian Officials are warning the U.S. not to attack. Both have said the Rebels were responsible for the use of chemical weapons, and the Rebels said that themselves. The U.S. is going to spark a major war if Syria is attacked...and it will end with a Nuclear War!

Syrian Official Seeks Dialogue, Warns Against U.S. Action

DAMASCUS, Syria—One of the Syrian regime's top diplomats called for dialogue with the U.S.—while threatening retaliation—as the U.S. Congress weighs military strikes against his government.

"We hope the American representatives will exercise wisdom, will listen to the voice of justice, not to provocative actions," Deputy Foreign Minister Faisal al-Mekdad told The Wall Street Journal in an interview at his office in Damascus on Tuesday.

"We love the American people, we have millions of Americans of Arab origin including Syrians and we do not want wars with the United States," said the diplomat, who served as his country's envoy to the United Nations in New York from 2003 to 2006.

While he repeatedly called for reconciliation, Mr. Mekdad warned of the repercussions of a U.S. attack on Syria. He said Damascus would strike back not only at Israel, but also at Syria's neighbors Jordan and Turkey if they take part in any U.S.-led operation.

"Once the war starts nobody can control what will happen," he said. "We believe that any attack against Syria will definitely result in chaos in the entire region if not beyond."

He also said military action would strengthen extremist rebel factions affiliated with al Qaeda, not the moderate opposition fighters the U.S. has sought to bolster.

A green light from Congress to attack Syria would be "a tragedy against the Syrian people and the American people and all people in the region," he said.

President Barack Obama said on Saturday that he had decided it was necessary to take military action against the regime of President Bashar al-Assad and would seek authorization from Congress, after his administration reported it had overwhelming evidence that the Syrian army had used chemical weapons in the Damascus suburbs on Aug. 21.

Mr. Mekdad rejected the U.S. conclusions. "I assure them that the Syrian government did not use chemical weapons against Syrians and will not use them against Syrians and will always be ready for dialogue with the American people and its representatives," the deputy foreign minister said.

"I know Secretary Kerry personally and I hope he does not go so far in plans that will kill more Syrians," he added, referring to the U.S. secretary of state, who has been one of the Obama administration's most prominent advocates of military action.

Like most Syrian officials, Mr. Mekdad said it was opposition rebels who unleashed chemical weapons on their own areas in the Damascus suburbs on Aug. 21, after the Syrian military launched a major operation on several fronts to prevent rebels from attacking the capital, which is under regime control.

Khaos

where the wild things are
If there is such "overwhelming" evidence, why not release that to the world? Oh wait, the reason they wont is because there is no evidence, duh.

I'd like to see the rebel's standpoint in this, the view of America getting involved in their pissing contest with the Assad regime. When we had that little conflict in Iraq years ago, there were Iraqi civilians, that told America quite bluntly "Stay the fuck out of our business"

Even some said they never asked for America to intervene. I'd like to see if these rebels would say the same..