Tall Tales?

Treversal

I thought this could be cool. People could share unusual stories that they were told related to science and technology.

I'll start with this one, I probably posted it somewhere else long ago but I don't recall where...

Years ago (30?) I had to work on Thanksgiving just watching the big computer room for a joint venture between IBM, CBS and SEARS, this was in the same building as the Tax Office on Rt. 208. There was a cemetery right behind the parking lot which made leaving after dark interesting. And I think the computers were their idea of what the future WWW/Internet would become. Anyway I was relieving an old gentleman and he told me to go home and he would stay because he would just be alone anyway and I had family to go be with. I asked if he was sure and he say no problem, go. I hung around for a long time (after all I was getting paid for the whole shift he was staying for free) to chat.
He started telling me about his time in WWII in Germany and he said one day when he stationed was at an airport an officer told him and a couple of other soldiers to guard a nearby hanger and not to let anyone enter.
They stood watch, and he got curious and said he was going to peek through a window and the other soldiers wouldn't go with him.
He said when he peeked inside he saw a lot of brass and what looked like a UFO hovering above the floor flying around the hanger.
He didn't watch for long and he went back to stand guard with the other soldiers.
I don't recall if he mentioned anything about sound, but we chatted a very long time and he sure seemed convincing enough about what he said he saw.
And I got to go home for Thanksgiving.

Last edited:

Treversal

Oh, wow, I had even forgotten about this one. And I saw it.

Back about...20 years ago I was riding down to south Jersey with a co-worker to pick up something, can't remember what it was. We were in a very sandy place with no houses, near the ocean, it was hot, sunny and the sky was clear. It was boring because there wasn't even anything around. I just stared out the window as he drove the van. Off to the right I saw three helicopters flying in a row and I probably shouldn't even be posting this but it was so long ago it must be ancient tech by now...I was watching the helicopters as they flew in our direction and something was odd about the middle one so I told him to look at them, he glanced and looked away saying, Yeah?
I wasn't sure what it was but it was kind of strange.
I said look again, he was bored too and not in a good mood, he looked, Yeah??
Do they look normal to you, the middle one?
Yeah.
Then I started to see through the middle one as if it was fading away as they got closer.
Dude, look at them now!
He took off his sunglasses and threw them on the dashboard and looked at them, Yeah???
I looked back the the middle helicopter was GONE.

There were three of them!
There are two.
There WERE THREE of them! Just now!
Yeah, right.
I'm telling you.
He put his glasses back on and kept driving.

Thinking about it - I think the middle one was a HOLOGRAM that the other two helicopters were projecting between them and when they saw us they shut if off. But I could see through the middle one as it got closer so they were still projecting it at that point in time. Even if there were cell phones I doubt I would have recorded it...but a dashboard cam might have caught it.

Last edited:

Treversal

1:21 am....SLEEP, DATA, SLEEP...

Next story I was told...if they don't close the forum for the last one....The Air Force Laser Pistol

Treversal

1:21 am....SLEEP, DATA, SLEEP...

Next story I was told...if they don't close the forum for the last one....The Air Force Laser Pistol

View attachment 8008
No one else has related stories? Can't be. Anyway....
I worked with a guy named Bob for over a decade, he's the same guy that was with me when we saw the "UFO Sphere". I guess it was about 15 years ago when he told me about this.
Bob used to be in the Air Force (too much info? could someone get into trouble? It's so old - doubt it) and one of his old buddies called him up one day and said he saw something and he had to tell someone about it.
He said that they were testing a "laser pistol" and the damned thing never missed and you never had to aim it.
He said it was small the size of a handgun and it fired two different lasers. You just pointed it in the general direction of the target (did it have to be moving? I don't remember) and pulled the trigger and a green beam hit the target and kept on it by itself.
Then a second beam fired hitting the target every time.

I don't remember much more detail except that he was very excited when he told me about it saying his friend said I could get into trouble for telling you this but I had to tell someone.

I guess the first beam locked and tracked and the second one just rode it like a road to the target.

I worked with his guy on many 18, 19, 20, 21 hour days - that is straight hours and he never told tales so, I believe that he was told what he told me.

It's interesting thinking about it now, that Trump put the Air Force in charge of the "Space Command".