Teleportation of Atoms

HackimerRob

Teleportation of Atoms

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3811785.stm
Teleportation breakthrough made

By Paul Rincon
BBC News Online science staff

In the past, teleportation has only been possible with particles of light Image: Rainer Blatt
Scientists have performed successful teleportation on atoms for the first time, the journal Nature reports.
The feat was achieved by two teams of researchers working independently on the problem in the US and Austria.

Anoah

Teleportation of Atoms

Excellent post Hack. Thanks for the link. Too bad they are not wrong in saying that proper teleportation tech is still a long way off. I can think of some good uses for that kind of technology. ;) One person here knows what I mean for sure. ;)

Attention Physics People: I would appreciate hearing your comments on this article and what its potential is for the time travel community. Show the biology major the light!!! Educate me. :lol:

Phoenix

Teleportation of Atoms

Oh this is the entanglement distruction stuff(wanted to break rull there) that was talked about before on the other forum.

I wish physicists would stop calling this teleportation. It isn't teleportation. It is a quantum xerox copy that trashes the original.

This has no potential to time travel Anoah. It isn't even teleportation.

Actually if you had another means to time travel all ready you could destroy something in this time period and make atoms sent out through the time gate to look just like what was destroyed in this time.

I guess it could help make atom based micro computing like the article talks about, it still seems pretty wasteful to me. Because ever data transwer would require you wiping out the source data.

If this dreadful technology was ever progressed to humans it would involve dissolving the person to be "teleported" and then making a copy of them with spare atoms being thrown off some where else that become entangled with the atoms of the destroyed original person.

I think most people would agree this is not teleportation and physicists should stop abusing the word in this way.

Anoah

Teleportation of Atoms

Thanks for clearing that up Phoenix. What a bummer. :( I had a feeling it would be something like that.

Judge Bean

Teleportation of Atoms

Originally posted by Phoenix@Jun 18 2004, 10:53 AM

If this dreadful technology was ever progressed to humans it would involve dissolving the person to be \"teleported\" and then making a copy of them with spare atoms being thrown off some where else that become entangled with the atoms of the destroyed original person.

Sounds like someone's first marriage.

HackimerRob

Teleportation of Atoms

WOOP WOOP
move along, nothing to see here folks -
phoenix, I'm going to have to site you, just doing my civic duty you understand, nothing personal -
"rull "
"transwer "

:*

I know, your brain works much faster than your fingers.

:D'oh!:
WOOP WOOP

Unintentional

Teleportation of Atoms

Originally posted by Hackimer@ Rob,Jun 25 2004, 03:14 AM
WOOP WOOP
move along, nothing to see here folks -
phoenix, I'm going to have to site you, just doing my civic duty you understand, nothing personal -
\"rull \"
\"transwer \"

:*

I know, your brain works much faster than your fingers.

:D'oh!:
WOOP WOOP
"site" instead of "cite"? by the spelling police? :p

On the teleportation thing, I would not call it teleportation either. Do the actual atoms of the original appear somewhere else? No. But an exact copy does and the method requires the dismantling of the original. What should we call it beside teleportation?

Did you know that when you use electricity, the generator doesn't actually send electrons to you? In the case of AC, the electrons simply move back and forth in a chain that goes all the way back to the generator. In DC, the electrons make the entire loop from source to load but not in the way you imagine. Imagine a straw full of peas that only almost fit exactly in the straw. When you push on the bottom pea in the straw, the top pea falls out. Imagine the straw as one big loop with a pea pusher on one end and the load at the other. The peas are pushed along by the one behind it, so energy is transmitted (teleported) immediately but the actual particle (electron) is not. In the article by Hack, if they call that teleportation, then you could also say that when you use electricity, electrons are being teleported to you.

bluerosesmall.jpg

Time Travel Forum

HackimerRob

Teleportation of Atoms

AH, you two have passed my test. EXCELLENT. The first subtleness of the sneaky spelling police. You ARE paying attention.

YOU LIKE ME, YOU REALLY REALLY LIKE ME!

@};- :flirt:

iooqxpooi

Teleportation of Atoms

Well that's not very good.

Teleportation is use of two connected Black Holes, or a series of Black Holes that are all connected that lead in circles. Of course, # of Black Holes= # of White Holes. Thus, no change in time.

This is just Quantum photocopying.

Not very nice for the person that goes through this. I would definitely not like to. NO SOUL LOSING FOR ME!