The clock that struck death 1800's

Mayhem

Zenith
A Family story which id like to share, put chills down the spine of some family members.

It comes from County Kildare Ireland.

A clock a small clock with a pendulum never worked in normal fashion as long as i can trace back.

Here' s the story.

My deceased grandmother (1988), gained a small clock from her mother which did not work.
In those days the family lived in a small 2 bedroom house in Island bridge Dublin. Unlike other catholic families it was small 3 children.

She used it to keep her sewing implements inside . As space was tight.

Over the years it was moved house to house as they gained better premises to live. Grandparents were born circa 1906,08.

On first recall my two aunts had said the clock started ticking, a loud tick in fact as they told me.
They were about 15-16 at the time. My grandmother stated someone is gone. Some weeks later she got word of her brother in New York had fallen down the stairs and died.

After that, the aunts said get that out of our room. It was transferred to my fathers box room as they used to call it. On one particular morning at the age of 12 he woke to a loud ticking at the end of the bed. On telling his mother she calmly stated another is gone. This time it was one of her sisters.
Another was a brother that died in hospital in dublin this time they knew on the same day the clock had started ticking.

It happened about 6 times from what i have gathered information on. My grandfather paid no mind to it at all and eventually threw it out !.
By inquiring in the family it was my great grandmothers, but everyone does not know how she came to own it.

My father has told me the hands were stuck at 6 O clock and even when the ticking was heard there was no movement.

I find this fascinating and only wish i could have saved this small clock.

It only did this on the mothers side of the family.

We seem to think she looks over us.)

Kind regards

Mayhem

The Fifth

This is the only clock you should look up to ! Ahhh , the good old times... :cool:

original.jpg

Mayhem

Zenith
My 2 aunts are still living although one was in a coma for 56 days.

See came out and is still on this earth, she is a very spiritual person.
Seems to run on the female side of this family.

I will seek more information about this, as i havent spoken too her for a while.

My father speaks to her every week.

Last edited:

Mayhem

Zenith
Its also interesting on the other side of the family.

I met my great grandmother lying in a hospital bed in dublin, she was 103 sharp as a tack.
Smuggled in a small bottle of whisky to ease the dramas lol.

She had many secrets of the old.

Doc 05

Zenith
A Family story which id like to share, put chills down the spine of some family members.

It comes from County Kildare Ireland.

A clock a small clock with a pendulum never worked in normal fashion as long as i can trace back.

Here' s the story.

My deceased grandmother (1988), gained a small clock from her mother which did not work.
In those days the family lived in a small 2 bedroom house in Island bridge Dublin. Unlike other catholic families it was small 3 children.

She used it to keep her sewing implements inside . As space was tight.

Over the years it was moved house to house as they gained better premises to live. Grandparents were born circa 1906,08.

On first recall my two aunts had said the clock started ticking, a loud tick in fact as they told me.
They were about 15-16 at the time. My grandmother stated someone is gone. Some weeks later she got word of her brother in New York had fallen down the stairs and died.

After that, the aunts said get that out of our room. It was transferred to my fathers box room as they used to call it. On one particular morning at the age of 12 he woke to a loud ticking at the end of the bed. On telling his mother she calmly stated another is gone. This time it was one of her sisters.
Another was a brother that died in hospital in dublin this time they knew on the same day the clock had started ticking.

It happened about 6 times from what i have gathered information on. My grandfather paid no mind to it at all and eventually threw it out !.
By inquiring in the family it was my great grandmothers, but everyone does not know how she came to own it.

My father has told me the hands were stuck at 6 O clock and even when the ticking was heard there was no movement.

I find this fascinating and only wish i could have saved this small clock.

It only did this on the mothers side of the family.

We seem to think she looks over us.)

Kind regards

Mayhem
What I like is that your Grandmother knew exactly what it meant; no fan fare or drama, just that is what it means.
Wisdom and knowledge that we have lost as a society, and here on this site trying to re-learn.