The Color of Time Travel

Treversal

In many time travel tales a color is involved, for example, in Goddard take the clouds are yellow, and in several tales the color is BLUE.

I just thought of this tonight. Most people have heard the theory that says anything traveling faster than light (FTL) will go back in time. But what if you don't need to travel at superluminal speeds!? What if you (or a signal?) "only" need to travel at FTL for that medium?

Example:
Cherenkov radiation
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search

Cherenkov radiation glowing in the core of the Advanced Test Reactor.
Cherenkov radiation (pronunciation: /tʃɛrɛnˈkɔv/) is an electromagnetic radiation emitted when a charged particle (such as an electron) passes through a dielectric medium at a speed greater than the phase velocity of light in that medium. The characteristic blue glow of an underwater nuclear reactor is due to Cherenkov radiation.

We see the classic (or one of them) "TT" sign - BLUE LIGHT - CREATED because something was traveling faster than LIGHT in that medium.

How can we use this?

I'm not sure yet - I just got a "you're thinking too hard" headache.

-T

Harte

Uh...
electrons don't travel faster than light.

Harte

Treversal

Uh...
electrons don't travel faster than light.

Harte

WIKI:
Physical origin [edit]
Basics [edit]
While electrodynamics holds that the speed of light in a vacuum is a universal constant (c), the speed at which light propagates in a material may be significantly less than c. For example, the speed of the propagation of light in water is only 0.75c. Matter can be accelerated beyond this speed (although still to less than c) during nuclear reactions and in particle accelerators. Cherenkov radiation results when a charged particle, most commonly an electron, travels through a dielectric (electrically polarizable) medium with a speed greater than that at which light propagates in the same medium.

Treversal

Harte
You've demonstrated you can visit Wikipedia. Now explain why it's important.
Harte posted: electrons don't travel faster than light.

So I had to re-post: (3rd time): Cherenkov radiation results when a charged particle, most commonly an electron, travels through a dielectric (electrically polarizable) medium with a speed greater than that at which light propagates in the same medium.

Again, it is common for Time Travel events to include blue light - the ham radio time travel event, the vanishing paperclip (time/dimensional travel?) etc. In theory anything traveling faster than light would travel backwards in time - Time Travel.

If Cherenkov Radiation - traveling "FTL" w/ the expected "blue light", too - is "time travel" that's very interesting. You don't need the entire mass of the universe to accelerate something to C or a spaceship to travel to a singularity's event horizon or an infinitely dense and long rotating Tipler Cylinder.

HDRKID

I love to see the blue glow, but it is eerie... from fuel rods that contain plutonium as well as uranium.

nuclear-reactor-core.jpg