The Draft

Smooth-Operator

The Draft

No matter how much they want to deny it, Congress even discusses the draft:
MILITARY DRAFT

and

H.R. 163, THE UNIVERSAL NATIONAL SERVICE ACT OF 2003 -

Looks like with Repubs in control of House, Senate, AND Executive branch- there may be no stoppin the Shrub.

:::shrugs:::

Who knows
Here's an excerpt

From The House October 05, 2004
Mr. Speaker, I move to suspend the rules and pass the bill (H.R. 163) to provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes.
Entire Proposal

"Other Purposes" had me VERY curious.

~ @);- Smooth ~ @);-

Darkwolf

The Draft

Hmmm, that mandatory service thing has me curious as well. Now I think some military service might do some of the young around here some good, it seems to me that they will use it for universal indoctrination.
I would hope that they might finally admit that we have a slow burn war going on down there and stick some of these kids along the southern border, but I doubt thats what they will be used for.

Smooth-Operator

The Draft

More info I grabbed before turnin in...

Selective Service to match records with Education for compliance

By John Byrne | RAW STORY Editor

The Selective Service filed a notice in the federal register three days before the election to check the computer records of the Department of Education for compliance with a law that requires all students receiving federal financial aid to register for the draft, RAW STORY has learned.

The notice, filed Oct. 28, was published today in the Federal Register.

Former Reagan Assistant Defense Secretary Lawrence Korb, who now works at a progressive thinktank, downplayed the significance of the notice. He said that the law mandating financial aid students to register was put in place by a Democratic congress in the early 1980s, after many failed to register.

Asked if he thought it gave any credence to rumors of a draft, he said, ?Not as far as I know, no.?

?The purpose of this matching program is to ensure that the requirements of Section 12(f) of the Military Selective Service System Act,? the notice reads.

While not an unexpected request, in a time when Americans have been so worried about a draft that Congress had to pass legislation asserting a draft would not be reinstated, the request can only fuel increased speculation about a military draft plan for the war in Iraq. The New York Times reported last month that the military was exploring a medical draft in the event of a national security emergency.

?In addition, Section 12(f)(2) of the Military Selective Service System Act specifies that any person required to present himself for and submit to registration under Section 3 of the Military Selective Service System Act must file a statement with the institution of higher education where the person
intends to attend or is attending that he is in compliance with the Military Selective Service System Act,? the notice adds.

Korb added that while not a procedure done annually, the Selective Service is required by law to ensure aid students are registered.

?I would imagine they would have to,? he said. ?Under the law they?re required to ensure that people don?t get financial aid if they haven?t registered.?
XXbazooka.gif

LOVELY isn't it? Especially if it turns out to be true.

Draft Agency Files Notice

BTW make sure to read about the Military Selective Service System Act, that you can link to from that page.

~ @);- Smooth ~ @);-

Darkwolf

The Draft

Hate to say it, but all able bodied males are required to register. It IS one of the responsibilities of citizenship. Those wanting government money had better be doing their parts as citizens as far as I'm concerned.