The Effect On Matter

Phoenix

The Effect On Matter

alchemist
Posted: Nov 1 2003, 07:45 AM

I am going to make a big assumption here, and that is that all energy and matter in the universe are different forms of the same thing. I believe this is already an established theory. I also assume that all energy/matter created from the big bang, right up to today still exists in various forms. Being that energy cannot be destroyed or created. Only converted. That would suggest that the total amount of energy/matter in the universe is always constant.

So, If I decide to go back in time, I will be adding my physical matter to the existing universal constant for the destination time. I am also removing that physical matter from the present time onwards. Doesn't this cause an imbalance in the nature of the universe?

Going forward in time wouldn't be a problem as my physical mass exists throughout the journey.

Any ideas?

Alchemist.

Phoenix

The Effect On Matter

Phoenix
Posted: Nov 1 2003, 08:43 PM

I would correct the equation to account for the total system, the multiverse.

Then it is true.

Matter/Energy is neither added to or taken away from the total system, though with in a subsystem it may appear to gain or lose energy (one universe gaining or losing energy to another universe).

Phoenix

The Effect On Matter

alchemist
Posted: Nov 2 2003, 06:18 AM

Ahh..that would explain it.

To take this a step further. Anybody with the right technology could effectively plunder another timeline and return back to their own. A sort of inter-universal piracy. It would be impossible to police.

Alchemist.

Phoenix

The Effect On Matter

Phoenix
Posted: Nov 2 2003, 11:27 AM

Hee hee hee

This is true, inter-universe piracy would be feasible. There was a movie called time bandits that is somewhat based on this premise but it was only inter time period plunder.

You still need to consider the character aspects of such plunder though. If you need to depend on others for your survival, then it is they, not you that have power. If they die and you have no one left to plunder, you will have to face the consequences of not having spent the time learning to be self sufficient.

As for policing, police represent a social emotional imbalance to me. It is good for a society to have a morally good and influentially powerful, power structure. But I believe ideas of crime and punishment ultimately are not needed in the progress of society. In the end all people will do good because they want to do good. Making crimes and punishments is of the nature of getting back at people and having a false sense of superiority. They are emotions that are not indulged in by emotionally mature people. I believe ultimately it will be strong and good leadership that will end misbehavior.

Phoenix

The Effect On Matter

(Phoenix @ Nov 2 2003, 08:27 PM)

Matter/Energy is neither added to or taken away from the total system, though with in a subsystem it may appear to gain or lose energy (one universe gaining or losing energy to another universe).
Bravo! I like that answer, Phoenix.

In the end all people will do good because they want to do good. Making crimes and punishments is of the nature of getting back at people and having a false sense of superiority. They are emotions that are not indulged in by emotionally mature people. I believe ultimately it will be strong and good leadership that will end misbehavior.
I like that one even more

iooqxpooi

The Effect On Matter

Originally posted by Phoenix@Jun 14 2004, 07:20 AM
alchemist
Posted: Nov 1 2003, 07:45 AM

I am going to make a big assumption here, and that is that all energy and matter in the universe are different forms of the same thing. I believe this is already an established theory. I also assume that all energy/matter created from the big bang, right up to today still exists in various forms. Being that energy cannot be destroyed or created. Only converted. That would suggest that the total amount of energy/matter in the universe is always constant.

So, If I decide to go back in time, I will be adding my physical matter to the existing universal constant for the destination time. I am also removing that physical matter from the present time onwards. Doesn't this cause an imbalance in the nature of the universe?

Going forward in time wouldn't be a problem as my physical mass exists throughout the journey.

Any ideas?

Alchemist.
Aren't all of the universes connected creating a multiverse in which you can see the totals?

If so, your travelling into a universe in the sixties wouldn't effect anything mass-wise in the total system, it would effect it in the smaller system.

If that is not true, then when you leave, at the exact time, a different 'you' comes back(same mass, etc.)

iooqxpooi

The Effect On Matter

Originally posted by Phoenix@Jun 14 2004, 07:25 AM

(Phoenix @ Nov 2 2003, 08:27 PM)

Bravo! I like that answer, Phoenix.

In the end all people will do good because they want to do good. Making crimes and punishments is of the nature of getting back at people and having a false sense of superiority. They are emotions that are not indulged in by emotionally mature people. I believe ultimately it will be strong and good leadership that will end misbehavior.
I like that one even more
Oops...

Ralan

The Effect On Matter

It would make sense to say that, as it is a rule that the quantity of mass in the universe is a constant, that when you go back in time there must be and equal mass swap between the universe of departure and the destination.

This is different from the Terminator approach; the area of the time travel sphere is displaced back to the point of departure. Travelling back in time would almost always mean having to send back more or less mass than that in the area you arrive in. That then complicates things a lot; we know that more mass has to be swapped in most cases, but where is this mass taken from, and what process makes that decision?

mr_bumpkin

Re: The Effect On Matter

Well, energy was constant until Einstien added a new dimension there as well. If you have more matter in one timeframe, you can probably ballance it by having less in another, no?

Think of if time travel consisted in litterally making all time flow backwards (except around you) and matter was conserved.

If you ate a pound of beef this morning, then when time flows backward all the processes that involved using that beef (such as the cow using it as part of its body) are now interrupted.

If you stopped going backward at a moment when the cow had been alive, then suddenly that cow is missing a pound of its body.

Wildstar

Re: The Effect On Matter

well from what I understand the total mass energy of the universe is zero
Matter and energy has a positive value and this is exactly countered by gravity which has a negative value.
ASP: A Universe from Nothing

Also WMAP finding show that the universe is Flat, and thus infinite in expanse. So if the universe has zero energy and is infinite. There would be no need for any matter exchange in a time travel scenario, because you can add and subtract anything from infinity.