The Hum

ejkirk24

Crazy Cat Lady
Who else has heard the 'Hum', a mysterious humming noise heard at night and has apparently been heard across the world?

The Hum is a name often given to widespread reports of a persistent and invasive low-frequency humming, rumbling, or droning noise not audible to all people. Hums have been widely reported by national media in the UK and the United States, and sometimes named according to the locality where the problem has been particularly publicized, such as the "Taos Hum" and the "Windsor Hum."

The Hum does not appear to be a single phenomenon. Different causes have been attributed, including local mechanical sources, often from industrial plants, as well as manifestations of tinnitus or other biological auditory effects. (Source: Wikipedia)

TimeFlipper

Who else has heard the 'Hum', a mysterious humming noise heard at night and has apparently been heard across the world?

The Hum is a name often given to widespread reports of a persistent and invasive low-frequency humming, rumbling, or droning noise not audible to all people. Hums have been widely reported by national media in the UK and the United States, and sometimes named according to the locality where the problem has been particularly publicized, such as the "Taos Hum" and the "Windsor Hum."

The Hum does not appear to be a single phenomenon. Different causes have been attributed, including local mechanical sources, often from industrial plants, as well as manifestations of tinnitus or other biological auditory effects. (Source: Wikipedia)

Is there any research to say how long that hum has been going on for, and any mention of its frequency?..
Consistent and very low frequency hum (3 to 7 hums per second) can be very damaging to people, especially at night time...Other sounds in peoples households can mask the hum, but our bodies are aware of it :sick:..

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I hear something akin to it sometimes when I wake up at night, but I'm unsure it's actually it. We do have industrial plants, highway nearby, so I mostly always considered that specific sound to come from those things. Didn't give it more though until now. I'll try to be more careful next time I hear it.

TimeFlipper

I hear something akin to it sometimes when I wake up at night, but I'm unsure it's actually it. We do have industrial plants, highway nearby, so I mostly always considered that specific sound to come from those things. Didn't give it more though until now. I'll try to be more careful next time I hear it.

Do you have an idea of the pulse frequency of the Hum, below or above 10 cycles per second?

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Oh, I have no idea.

How do you measure it? By ear? Or do you have a specific device that does it for you?

TimeFlipper

Oh, I have no idea.

How do you measure it? By ear? Or do you have a specific device that does it for you?

Next time you hear it, try to think how many times in 1 second you believed you heard each hum, was it above, or below 5 hums per second?, alternatively it could appear as one long continuous hum without any interruptions, just as our Mains Hum sounds like :)..

Last edited:

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I'll pay attention next time we sleep with the AC off. I'm curious if I'll still be able to notice it.

TimeFlipper

I'll pay attention next time we sleep with the AC off. I'm curious if I'll still be able to notice it.

Shall I remind you from time 2 time about the hum?, you do have a lot of important things going off in your life and checking for a hum might get overlooked....Personally, I haven't come across that specific hum>>>>yet :)..

Perhaps some of our other members might be able to hear that hum and tell us about it, I believe its important that our new member @ejkirk24 brought it to Paranormalis attention(y)..

Maulbeere

Who else has heard the 'Hum', ...

My mother has heard this, but it was traced to the University of Southampton Campus, (Highfield, S'oton, UK). The University declined to respond meaningfully to complaints or requests for information from local residents, apparently.
I did not hear it myself, but neither did she while I was visiting.

My mother is a fairly extreme Karen, but in this case I have to sympathise that it was psychologically wearing. Her theory was that the building it was coming from, a multi-story office like afair at the end of a residential dead end, oddly enough, was part of the Physics department and 'they were running experiments'. The hum would start and last for several days. I didn't really follow the story after that, and I don't speak to her any more to ask for an update. This was about 2014 I think, +- a couple of years.

TimeFlipper

My mother has heard this, but it was traced to the University of Southampton Campus, (Highfield, S'oton, UK). The University declined to respond meaningfully to complaints or requests for information from local residents, apparently.
I did not hear it myself, but neither did she while I was visiting.

My mother is a fairly extreme Karen, but in this case I have to sympathise that it was psychologically wearing. Her theory was that the building it was coming from, a multi-story office like afair at the end of a residential dead end, oddly enough, was part of the Physics department and 'they were running experiments'. The hum would start and last for several days. I didn't really follow the story after that, and I don't speak to her any more to ask for an update. This was about 2014 I think, +- a couple of years.

It seemed odd that the Southampton University declined all comments...I would have thought they could at least had denied creating any type of hum purposely...Perhaps a phone call request from yourself might yield something interesting? ;) :D..