The Hum

ejkirk24

Crazy Cat Lady
Is there any research to say how long that hum has been going on for, and any mention of its frequency?..
Consistent and very low frequency hum (3 to 7 hums per second) can be very damaging to people, especially at night time...Other sounds in peoples households can mask the hum, but our bodies are aware of it :sick:..

From preliminary research, apparently it's been going on for a good while, since about 2009 or so. That's a long time.

My mother has heard this, but it was traced to the University of Southampton Campus, (Highfield, S'oton, UK). The University declined to respond meaningfully to complaints or requests for information from local residents, apparently.
I did not hear it myself, but neither did she while I was visiting.

My mother is a fairly extreme Karen, but in this case I have to sympathise that it was psychologically wearing. Her theory was that the building it was coming from, a multi-story office like afair at the end of a residential dead end, oddly enough, was part of the Physics department and 'they were running experiments'. The hum would start and last for several days. I didn't really follow the story after that, and I don't speak to her any more to ask for an update. This was about 2014 I think, +- a couple of years.

I keep hearing it at night (and have been hearing it for the last few years or so) and it is really annoying. Funny, that you should mention Southampton University, as I live on the other side of Southampton, so technically I shouldn't be hearing it if it was from that way.

Hmm... It's odd that they haven't responded to any complaints or questions from people. Also, if it's from the Physics department and they were running experiments, that begs the question on what experiments they are running. Must be pretty noisy experiments to be heard on the other side of Southampton and beyond.

Last edited:

Maulbeere

... Must be pretty noisy experiments to be heard on the other side of Southampton and beyond.

Just to clarify, it wasn't the other side of Southampton, this building that seemed to be the source, was at the end of the same residential road, just a few houses away. And as mentioned, this is not something everyone can hear, it's described as a very deep, almost subsonic and very smooth hum. I imagine it's deeper than the obvious hum from my fridge for example.

So I looked it up on Google Earth - the building in question is the one with the square footprint directly adjacent to the Northeast of the one marked 'Engineering and Environment'. I didn't realise actually how many campus buildings were in that locale - turns out it's the back end of the main University campus - and it makes me question the identification of the exact building, not oleast as this square and tall facility is the one that's the most obvious from a pedestrian or someone driving by along the road called Harley Avenue there.

It's odd that they haven't responded to any complaints or questions from people

Yes, but I can't say that for sure - this was several years ago and it's one account from my mother, and I wasn't on the calls to be certain.

Perhaps a phone call request from yourself might yield something interesting?

That's a valid and interesting idea. Now I'm an expat in the US and estranged from her to ask for an update, given the time gap, and that I'm not keen on adding international dialing to my phone bill, I'll be honest, I'm very unlikely to go there.
I'm just throwing in my little anecdote to an interesting thread, for what it's worth, which I realise isn't much :)

Last edited:

ejkirk24

Crazy Cat Lady
Just to clarify, it wasn't the other side of Southampton, this building that seemed to be the source, was at the end of the same residential road, just a few houses away. And as mentioned, this is not something everyone can hear, it's described as a very deep, almost subsonic and very smooth hum. I imagine it's deeper than the obvious hum from my fridge for example.

So I looked it up on Google Earth - the building in question is the one with the square footprint directly adjacent to the Northeast of the one marked 'Engineering and Environment'. I didn't realise actually how many campus buildings were in that locale - turns out it's the back end of the main University campus - and it makes me question the identification of the exact building, not oleast as this square and tall facility is the one that's the most obvious from a pedestrian or someone driving by along the road called Harley Avenue there.

Sorry, I meant that I could hear it from the other side of Southampton, near the New Forest, and it sounds like a big ass lorry crossed with a jet plane outside, idling its engine and it does it all night. The sound can be heard in all the rooms, not just the ones in the front.

However, it is fascinating on where it is apparently originating from. I am still curious on what they are doing in there though. Theories anyone? Are they building a time machine, a inter dimensional gateway or something else there? LOL, now I'm going off topic.

Nixter

In Fuerteventura maybe 2014(?) at night especially you would hear the hum. It was constant. It seemed to emit from a mountain and people only noticed when it was pointed out.

steven chiverton

the hume maybe if we try create that hum sound and turn it up slowly till its in resonance with the present hum then it will sound better

TimeFlipper

the hume maybe if we try create that hum sound and turn it up slowly till its in resonance with the present hum then it will sound better

I think you will find they both cancel out each other...Back in the year (circa) 2001, Mercedes brought out a super car that could never lose control even on an ice skating rink, plus they produced a resonant audio wave with the cars engine sound, that totally eliminated the sound of the engine, when you were inside the car (Silence Is Golden) (y):)..

Maulbeere

Update - found this video by a targeted individual that studies the audio around people targeted by RF and has a theory that the voices they hear are carried on background noise, and convert to voice in the sinuses or something like that.
He did a video on the Hum that's also interesting.