The insignificance of humanity and how we cope with it

Mr Unknown

I have been thinking about life lately and have come to this conclusion. Through evolution, we human beings have become too self-conscious. Before we were dedicated to surviving but we already survived. And we discovered that we are not special. That religions and all the things that make us feel unique and special are mental straws. They are false. We create myths and stories to forget how insignificant we are. Given this I have realized that we humans have three different ways of responding to emptiness. There are the controllers (people who want to eliminate the animal instinct of man and transform it into something else), the chaotic ones (people who think that survival was the only thing that gave meaning to existence and want everything to be like the stone age again ) and neutral nihilists (people who think that the best way to solve the problem is to stop reproducing, take drugs, use alcohol or anything else to escape reality). The question is, which one are you? What is a better response to the vacuum?

Harte

The best response to the vacuum is to not care about the vacuum.

It doesn't matter if our existence is ultimately meaningless, as long as you have meaning in your existence while you're here.

Harte

TimeFlipper

I have been thinking about life lately and have come to this conclusion. Through evolution, we human beings have become too self-conscious. Before we were dedicated to surviving but we already survived. And we discovered that we are not special. That religions and all the things that make us feel unique and special are mental straws. They are false. We create myths and stories to forget how insignificant we are. Given this I have realized that we humans have three different ways of responding to emptiness. There are the controllers (people who want to eliminate the animal instinct of man and transform it into something else), the chaotic ones (people who think that survival was the only thing that gave meaning to existence and want everything to be like the stone age again ) and neutral nihilists (people who think that the best way to solve the problem is to stop reproducing, take drugs, use alcohol or anything else to escape reality). The question is, which one are you? What is a better response to the vacuum?

I believe the important question to start off with should be, out of three options you quoted, which one of them do "you" think you are? :D..

Angelface239

The best response to the vacuum is to not care about the vacuum.

It doesn't matter if our existence is ultimately meaningless, as long as you have meaning in your existence while you're here.

Harte
I guess but i am not so sure about my own existience because of my past that made it not to be so for me.

Papirika

Well in the end doesn't matter if you are religious or not, if we cope with it or not. It won't change anything. The only thing we can do is to live our lifes in the most satisfying way possible then we won't have regrets later.
For religious people this way is through religion, for non religious is thought science or whatever.
In the end we are all the same doesn't matter how smart the other sideclaims to be.

by the way I am christian.

Angelface239

Well in the end doesn't matter if you are religious or not, if we cope with it or not. It won't change anything. The only thing we can do is to live our lifes in the most satisfying way possible then we won't have regrets later.
For religious people this way is through religion, for non religious is thought science or whatever.
In the end we are all the same doesn't matter how smart the other sideclaims to be.

by the way I am christian.
Okay.