The key to successful, healthy weight loss

medostar85

Successfully managing your weight comes down to a simple equation: If you eat more calories than you burn, you gain weight. And if you eat fewer calories than you burn, you lose weight. Sounds easy, right? Then why is losing weight so hard?

Well for one, weight loss isn’t a linear event over time. When you cut calories, you may drop a pound or so each week for the first few weeks, for example, and then something changes. You eat the same number of calories but you lose less weight. And then the next week you don’t lose anything at all. That’s because when you lose weight you’re losing water and lean tissue as well as fat, your metabolism slows, and your body changes in other ways. So, in order to continue dropping weight each week, you’ll need to continue cutting calories.

Secondly, while in essence a calorie is a calorie, your body reacts differently to different types of food. So eating 100 calories of high fructose corn syrup, for example, will have a different effect on your body than eating 100 calories of broccoli. The trick for sustained weight loss is to ditch the foods that are packed with calories but don’t make you feel full (like candy) and replace them with foods that fill you up without being loaded with calories (like vegetables).

Thirdly, losing weight in a healthy, sustainable way often takes time. It requires patience and commitment. Extreme diets may promise rapid results but they’re more likely to leave you feeling cranky and starving and losing more cash than weight. Finally, there are emotional aspects of eating that can trip you up. Many of us don’t always eat simply to satisfy hunger. We also turn to food for comfort or to relieve stress—which can derail any weight loss efforts before they begin.

The good news is that by making smarter choices every day, adopting healthy lifestyle changes, and developing new eating habits, you’ll not only lose weight and be able to keep it off, you’ll also improve your outlook and mood and have more energy.

TnWatchdog

I stay away from fast food but if I do go in I will have only one Big Mac instead of my usual two. One thing, being 6'-3" allows me to carry more weght less noticeably then if I was shorter.

medostar85

I stay away from fast food but if I do go in I will have only one Big Mac instead of my usual two. One thing, being 6'-3" allows me to carry more weght less noticeably then if I was shorter.

I dont just stay away from fast food but i hate this kind of food :)

TnWatchdog

I enjoy cooking shows and have fun cooking, which is a form of therapy for me. It wasn't that long ago I only knew how to boil water so I have come a long way. lol

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
I count calories, dropped ALL bread, potatoes, rice, crackers, sugar, etc. Low carb. High lean protein. I lost 12 lbs. I lose about 3-4 lbs per month, even with lots of exercise. I swim and go on 3 mile walks as well as cleaning the house. I can't complain. :) I've gone down a pant size. If I have to do fast food on busy dance nights, I eat a grilled chicken salad with low cal dressing. Also, I can't lose weight if I don't eat broccoli.

So eating 100 calories of high fructose corn syrup, for example, will have a different effect on your body than eating 100 calories of broccoli.

This is true. Sugar raises your blood sugar and if it isn't burned, it's stored as fat.

medostar85

I enjoy cooking shows and have fun cooking, which is a form of therapy for me. It wasn't that long ago I only knew how to boil water so I have come a long way. lol

COoOoOoOoOoOlllllllllllllllll