The New Arrival

taykair

At every online forum I've been, I have always told this little story. It's sort of been my calling card. I hope you enjoy it.

The New Arrival

Once there was a man who died. He awoke to find himself surrounded by darkness.

All at once, there was a brilliant flash of light. Then the man saw all the ancient Olympian gods standing before him. Zeus, Hera, Hermes, Aphrodite... the whole gang was there.

Then the man heard a voice which said, "Fall to your knees and worship your Gods."

The man was frightened by the spectacle before him, but something didn't seem quite right to him. Was this some kind of test? No matter. Even if it wasn't a test, he had to be true to himself.

"I'm s-s-sorry," the man stammered, "but I can't worship these so-called gods. I am a Christian."

And, no sooner than he had said that, the Olympians were gone.

Then there was another flash of light, and the man saw Allah, with Mohammed standing at his right hand.

And the voice said, "Fall to your knees and worship your God."

"No, I won't," the man said. "I am a Christian, and I will not worship Allah."

And, just like that, Allah and his Prophet were gone.

Another flash! And the man beheld Jehovah in all his glory. (He was mumbling something to Moses, who was busily taking notes.)

And the voice said, "Fall to your knees and worship your God."

"Well," said the man, "you're getting close. But Jehovah's just a little too Jewish for my taste. Like I said, I'm a Christian."

And, in an instant, the Lord of Hosts was gone.

Then there was another brilliant flash of light - more intense than any which had preceeded it. And there was a great noise, as if a thousand-thousand angels were singing.

And the man looked on with awe as the Holy Trinity - Father, Son, and Holy Ghost - appeared before him.

"Oh, so that's how that works," said the man. "I always wondered how one could be three and three could be one."

"Yeah, whatever," said the voice. "Fall to your knees and worship your God. Or Gods. Whatever."

Well of course, this is what the man had been waiting for! And he was just about to prostrate himself, when he hesitated.

"Wait a minute," he said. "Where's that voice coming from?"

And, as soon as the man had asked that question, God stepped out from the darkness and appeared before the man.

"Wow," said the man.

"Indeed," God said. "Congratulations, by the way."

"Congratulations?" the man said.

"Yeah," God said. "You wouldn't believe how few of you folks get this far."