The Oral History of John Titor, the Man Who Traveled Back in Time to Save the Internet

Num7

Administrator
Staff
1652729861017.pngFound this today, although it dates from 2018. It's so interesting to go through Titor's story again, after all those years. They mention Paranormalis at some point because Pamela has been active here for a number of years.

I'm going to need to re-read the whole Titor posts, it's been so long. I remember most major details, but there are so many little things here and there that I no longer have in mind nowadays. That article really makes me wanna dive back into it when I can.

Check it out, you'll like it. Reading about Titor never gets old.

Share what you think about the article. It's a long read!

ANYONE CAN BE ANYBODY from the other side of a screen: a Nigerian prince pleading for money; a lonely housewife "catfishing" a romantic interest; or a 14-year-old girl posing as just about anyone. From the "bonsai kitten" scandal of 2000 to the Lonelygirl15 "vlogs," the internet has proved itself to be fertile ground for hoax-makers, scam artists, and digital charlatans.

One legendary hoax captivated fans of the supernatural and the paranormal like few others. November 2, 2000 saw the first online post by the individual who would come to be known as "John Titor." Titor claimed to be a man from the future, sent to the past to retrieve... a portable computer. Though shrouded by forum avatars, his specific instructions on what he was here to accomplish, and what society would look like in his version of the future, kicked off a frenzy of investigation, speculation, and deception that has lasted for nearly two decades.

Some people believed "John Titor" completely. Others became obsessed with errors and inconsistencies, digital detectives trying to uncover the truth behind the story. Before it was over, Titor would make his way to an animation studio in Japan, a wrestling ring in Pennsylvania, and a prison cell in Oregon.

This is his story, as told by the people who fell deep into it.

Last edited: