Forum Game The Random Thread - Videos, Memes and Jokes

Bones McCoy

The ancient name “Dacia” was in fact the name of the whole region inhabited by Dacians in those times. Then, the Roman Empire took over the entire Dacia (I don’t know exactly when, as I am not good at history). The most famous king of Dacia (and the last one) was Decebal (pronounced DETCHEBHAL) … some call him DECEBALUS, but this is the Roman (Latin) version of the name. A carving in stone was made between 1994 and 2004, you can read about it (and see images) here:
In more recent times, before part of Moldova was annexed to the former USSR (currently Ukraine), the country was named “Basarabia”. In our days, the independent country Moldova has the exact same name as the neighboring region of Romania, so when someone says “Moldova”, he (she) must specify “republic” before the name, otherwise it could be confused with the Romanian region of Moldova.
The only people who kept their name as Dacians, left (more than 100 years ago) to Kazakhstan (the homeland of the best voice in the world – Dimash Kudaibergen). The region where they reside, some people use to call “The Small Romania From Kazakhstan”. All those people (currently more than 30.000) were in fact from republic Moldova and beside many of republic Moldova people and Transnistria people, they are the only ones who still speak the old, pure Romanian language. So, in Kazakhstan, after the official languages Kazakh and Russian, Romanian is also among the most spoken languages.
There are a lot of videos on YouTube on this subject. One just has to search for the terms “Dacii din Kazakhstan” (that is – The Dacians from Kazakhstan).
As for coincidences … yes, I’ve noticed that too – a whole lot of those are happening lately, indeed.

:D

This is amazing! I think that you are excellent at history!

We do get some documentaries about your part of the world on television, but not very many. Mostly we get travel shows for tourists to watch, lots of sight-seeing and festivals, but hardly any cultural or history content.

Oh, and at Hallowe'en we get lots of documentaries about Vlad Dracula, but they are not very good at all. Mostly they just promote old scenes from Hollywood movies.