The Spectral Battle Of Sedgemoor?

Exp

So, recently, i was talking about 'paranormal phenomena' with my grandfather, discussing what we both thought it was as a whole, whether it was just a phenomenon related to the mind, or whether it was something more real. And in doing so, he told me that his grandfather told him about 'the battle of sedgemoor', a historical paranormal experience that many people experienced at the same time, which i found quite astounding. He said either it was that everyone saw the faces of their dead loved ones on the people fighting the battle, or that the entire battle itself was spectral. Curiously, i googled it, since if that many people saw it, it must be on google somewhere as a historical experience, right? Wrong, i couldn't find anything about it, just the actual battle itself. I was just wondering if anyone else knew anything about it, or if they could link me to something they'd found about it?

TimeFlipper

So, recently, i was talking about 'paranormal phenomena' with my grandfather, discussing what we both thought it was as a whole, whether it was just a phenomenon related to the mind, or whether it was something more real. And in doing so, he told me that his grandfather told him about 'the battle of sedgemoor', a historical paranormal experience that many people experienced at the same time, which i found quite astounding. He said either it was that everyone saw the faces of their dead loved ones on the people fighting the battle, or that the entire battle itself was spectral. Curiously, i googled it, since if that many people saw it, it must be on google somewhere as a historical experience, right? Wrong, i couldn't find anything about it, just the actual battle itself. I was just wondering if anyone else knew anything about it, or if they could link me to something they'd found about it?

Perhaps i might be able to help you...The Battle of Sedgemoor was the very last Battle fought on English soil, back in 1685...
After the Battle many of the local inhabitants were supposed to have seen eerie shapes of men riding on horseback and hearing eerie voices coming from them! :eek:..The horsemen were supposed to have been seen many many times since then, and the sightings were usually after or during electrical storms, such as lightning..Throughout each century after 1685, the reports were coming in from people that the horsemen were now seen "floating above the ground"...

I read an article about those ghostly men on horses, and it mentioned that the "marshy" ground they fought on in July 1685 had sunk to between six to nine feet, by the 1980s....The author of that article did not say that the people were making up the stories about the eerie horsemen and their horses, but said that maybe the electrical storms of 1685 had somehow created a "video" which kept being replayed, every time an electrical storm was in that area....Now couple that to the marshy ground sinking upto the 1980s, and we have a situation of how those horsemen will now appear to be consistently getting higher and higher in mid air, in every century that they are being seen :)...

If you require further information on Sedgemoor, Google, Haunted Somerset in the UK...You will read about Haunted Houses, Haunted Castles, Haunted Inns and Pubs, Standing Stones, and Glastonbury :cool:...

Last edited:

Exp

Perhaps i might be able to help you...The Battle of Sedgemoor was the very last Battle fought on English soil, back in 1685...
After the Battle many of the local inhabitants were supposed to have seen eerie shapes of men riding on horseback and hearing eerie voices coming from them! :eek:..The horsemen were supposed to have been seen many many times since then, and the sightings were usually after or during electrical storms, such as lightning..Throughout each century after 1685, the reports were coming in from people that the horsemen were now seen "floating above the ground"...

I read an article about those ghostly men on horses, and it mentioned that the "marshy" ground they fought on in July 1685 had sunk to between six to nine feet, by the 1980s....The author of that article did not say that the people were making up the stories about the eerie horsemen and their horses, but said that maybe the electrical storms of 1685 had somehow created a "video" which kept being replayed, every time an electrical storm was in that area....Now couple that to the marshy ground sinking upto the 1980s, and we have a situation of how those horsemen will now appear to be consistently getting higher and higher in mid air, in every century that they are being seen :)...

If you require further information on Sedgemoor, Google, Haunted Somerset in the UK...You will read about Haunted Houses, Haunted Castles, Haunted Inns and Pubs, Standing Stones, and Glastonbury :cool:...
Thanks for replying! I am very interested and will delve further into this. Thanks for your input.

DEATH OMEN

This kind of thing goes on at a lot of battlefields. Closer to home, about most Civil War battlefields, the "dead" simply don't stay dead. From cannon/musket fire/screams of the wounded/ walking bodies with missing body parts, etc. Been there, seen that. Go to Gettysburg, PA, tour the battlefield, take photos, ya never know what might show up that ya didn't see. Oh, yes, there are apparently "flesh and blood" types of soldiers there that died on July, 1,2,3, 1863 but no one has told them that they are dead. They just keep doin' what they were doin' when they were killed.

Briggers

said that maybe the electrical storms of 1685 had somehow created a "video" which kept being replayed, every time an electrical storm was in that area...
This is the best explanation of what Ghosts are for me. A recording of a moment in time somehow being replayed over and over.
I don't know where but I once read or saw on TV about an old house made of stones/bricks which had many sightings of a ghost. For some reason the house was pulled down brick by brick and rebuilt exactly the same a few miles away, and the same ghost was seen in the house at the new location.

DEATH OMEN

I think that once a "personality" gets "imprinted" in any structure, location, etc. Many travel with the "structure" or remain at the site they were initially "stuck" to. In other words, some "ghosts can relocate", why/how/ let me know.:)