The Universe is Hostile Towards Computers

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
This is just the latest video by Veritassium. It's a bit lengthy, but it activated my pay attention gene. It isn't mentioned in the video, but it provided a reason for why Elon Musk's autonomous drive Teslas occasionally malfunction. This is fact based knowledge. So if you're a Democrat it might not be for you.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Interesting video. I didn't know high energy particules could have an effect like that on day to day computers. Let alone your eyes.

That election case was pretty cool. It's cool they were able to analyse it properly and found the simple (yet complicated) reason it happened.

I get a white flash in one eye sometimes. I wonder if that would be the explanation.

Luckily it's possible to shield computers from it, or have redundancy, so danger is minimal when we're talking about critical systems.

Mr Scientist

This is just the latest video by Veritassium. It's a bit lengthy, but it activated my pay attention gene. It isn't mentioned in the video, but it provided a reason for why Elon Musk's autonomous drive Teslas occasionally malfunction. This is fact based knowledge. So if you're a Democrat it might not be for you.
Electric magnetic pulses as well as other high particle energy either man-made or originating from space has been known for decades. And measures have been taken to safeguard against it. Take a look at the two voyagers for example, deep space computers. I'd be more worried about the funny noise coming from under your stairs.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Interesting video. I didn't know high energy particules could have an effect like that on day to day computers. Let alone your eyes.

That election case was pretty cool. It's cool they were able to analyse it properly and found the simple (yet complicated) reason it happened.

I get a white flash in one eye sometimes. I wonder if that would be the explanation.

Luckily it's possible to shield computers from it, or have redundancy, so danger is minimal when we're talking about critical systems.

That symptom you mentioned with the one eye is something for an eye doctor to look into. Information on the internet points toward a detached or torn retina. Of course I've noticed there appears to be a bit of fear mongering concerning that diagnosis. It seems to me there is no database that is safe from tampering.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I went to the eye doctor a few months back, everything was okay, so no worries there.

Yeah, Dr. Google gets its panties in a bunch over simple stuff. Whatever your symptoms, you probably have cancer. People go nuts over it.

Mr Scientist

I went to the eye doctor a few months back, everything was okay, so no worries there.

Yeah, Dr. Google gets its panties in a bunch over simple stuff. Whatever your symptoms, you probably have cancer. People go nuts over it.
You will know if you've got a detached retina it's like a curtain closing on one side or the other. It's medical emergency if they treat it within 24-hours there will be no or only minor vision lost. I would take a good first aid courses, rather than consulting Google for anything medical.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
You will know if you've got a detached retina it's like a curtain closing on one side or the other. It's medical emergency if they treat it within 24-hours there will be no or only minor vision lost. I would take a good first aid courses, rather than consulting Google for anything medical.

I see you used Google to find that out. It's complete bullshit! That kind of bullshit is called fear mongering. I guess the new norm is to get your medical knowledge from an accredited institution or someone licensed to diagnose and treat symptoms of eyes.

Mr Scientist

I see you used Google to find that out. It's complete bullshit! That kind of bullshit is called fear mongering. I guess the new norm is to get your medical knowledge from an accredited institution or someone licensed to diagnose and treat symptoms of eyes.
No not Google but from experience. Detached retinas are a serious problem. I've been to the hospital twice with suspected detached retinas. First of all there are flashing lights, like flashlights going off. Then a darkening in the peripheral area. Of course there are other things that the produces these symptoms that are less hazardous. But you don't want to take the risk. In the UK we don't pay for medical procedures or tests. So I gather if your on medical insurance that could be an issue, if you will not covered. That's why I suggesting that it's always useful to go on a comprehensive first aid course.

Mr Scientist

Last edited:

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
No not Google but from experience. Detached retinas are a serious problem. I've been to the hospital twice with suspected detached retinas. First of all there are flashing lights, like flashlights going off. Then a darkening in the peripheral area. Of course there are other things that the produces these symptoms that are less hazardous. But you don't want to take the risk. In the UK we don't pay for medical procedures or tests. So I gather if your on medical insurance that could be an issue, if you will not covered. That's why I suggesting that it's always useful to go on a comprehensive first aid course.

Mr Scientist

Google flatly says that a sudden flashing light symptom in one eye is a detached retina. And you will be blind shortly if you don't go in for retinal surgery. I call that fear mongering. Because it's not true. And from my own experience I have found out it is better to back away from anything that seems a little far fetched. So far my cautious attitude has saved me many times from becoming a victim of medical stupidity.